Women Lawyers Network
McGuireWoods supports its women lawyers through a variety of initiatives that have been developed through the firm’s Women Lawyers Network (WLN). The WLN supports women lawyers in each office. Its programs range from firmwide career training to work-life balance initiatives.
McGuireWoods provides a supportive, flexible work environment in which women lawyers can accomplish career goals, while nurturing families and personal goals throughout their careers. The McGuireWoods Women Lawyers Network initiatives include:
- A comprehensive program exclusively for women lawyers. Each quarter the WLN meets by video conference to listen to experts address topics related to career enhancement.
- Networking programs that differentiate McGuireWoods from other law firms. McGuireWoods’ women’s networking events often create buzz. We have partnered with Working Mother Media and its subsidiary, the National Association of Women Executives (NAFE), to host programs in different cities. Mika Brzezinski, co-host of MSNBC’s “Morning Joe,” spoke at one of these events about her book, Knowing Your Value.
- “Family friendly” policies for lawyers, which include:
- Women associates receive 18 weeks paid leave, regardless of whether it is for childbirth, adoption or foster child placement. The firm offers six weeks of paid leave for men associates for the birth of a baby, and in the case of adoption, if men are the primary caregiver, they qualify for the full 18 weeks of paid parental leave.
- One-year unpaid parental leave of absence, and return to the firm at the same status.
- New mother and father associates can take a six-month “return-to-work ramp-up” through which they opt for a 20 percent reduction in their billable-hour target with no change in pay after returning from family leave, or a leave of absence due to the birth of a child, regardless of the amount of time taken during parental leave.
- The assistance of a “family-leave liaison” to answer questions prior to taking parental leave, stay in contact with them while on parental leave, and help them transition back to work.
- Written part-time and flex-time policies.
- Significant support of charitable causes for women. McGuireWoods is among major contributors to the Women in the World Foundation and a woman partner sits on the Women in the World Foundation Board.