In difficult financial situations, it pays to recognize the situation early and prepare a realistic strategy to handle the crisis. Whether a debtor or a creditor, the wisest first step is to talk to a law firm that understands the process and focuses on obtaining optimal results. McGuireWoods is that law firm.
Our Restructuring and Insolvency practice offers a balanced mixture of transactional strength and litigation experience. We represent debtors and debtors in possession, secured creditors and unsecured creditors' committees, as well as lenders and trustees in all types of debt restructuring, litigation and bankruptcy reorganization proceedings, including out-of-court workouts.
Representations range from large regional cases to those of national stature, and our practice extends across industry lines to include retail, transportation, real estate, manufacturing, telecommunications, and many other industries. Our clients include a variety of constituencies, including debtors in workouts and reorganizations, creditors’ committees, manufacturers and trade creditors, and financial institutions such as banks, hedge funds, private equity firms, bondholder committees and asset-based lenders.
We bring diversity of skill and experience to each bankruptcy or financial restructuring. Team members include business bankruptcy specialists who are certified by the American Board of Certification; members of the prestigious American College of Bankruptcy; and active members of regional and national industry organizations such as the American Bankruptcy Institute, International Women’s Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation, Turnaround Management Association, and others. In addition, several team members began their legal careers as judicial clerks for federal bankruptcy judges.
Because of our experience, geographic diversity, and size, our team has the skills to represent parties in bankruptcy anywhere in the United States. We achieve prompt results, because a speedy resolution reduces costs and preserves value. Unlike some firms that only talk about this type of experience, McGuireWoods has it. We have tried cases and argued appeals on bankruptcy sale issues, termination of pension plans, modification of retiree benefits, and other complex matters. Our willingness to undertake these issues, and our collaborative approach, enhances our ability to provide effective representation.
As lawyers within a 900-attorney firm, we have the resources of a full-service law firm with the targeted experience and personal responsiveness of a boutique bankruptcy firm. We work closely with other firm attorneys whose primary practices involve complex commercial litigation, labor and employment, corporate services, real estate, intellectual property, or tax and employee benefits, but who also have a fundamental understanding of bankruptcy law. Our transactional and litigation team members coordinate their efforts to yield the best business results for clients.
Significant Debtor & Trustee Representations
- Workflow Management, Inc. et al.
- Qimonda Richmond LLC in bankruptcy litigation against ABN and Kingston Technology International Ltd.
- Diomed, Inc.
- LandAmerica Financial Group, Inc.
- Circuit City Stores, Inc.
- S&K Famous Brands, Inc.
- Greenbrier Hotel Corporation
- US Airways Group, Inc.
- AMF Bowling Worldwide, Inc.
- Special Metals Corporation
- Weirton Steel Corporation
- Ward Products, Inc.
- Brill Media Company, LLC
- Motient Corporation
- Heilig-Meyers Company
- Pittsburgh Hockey Associates d/b/a Pittsburgh Penguins
- biosys, inc.
- Telesphere Communications, Inc.
- The Austin Corporation - Trustee
- Allegheny Health Education and Research Foundation - Trustee
- Southeast Banking Corporation - Trustee
- Healthco International, Inc. - Trustee
- Best Products Co., Inc.
- Adventist Living Centers, Inc.
- Virginia Carolina Peanut Farmers Cooperative Association
- Pittsburgh Food and Beverage - Trustee
- Miller & Rhoads, Inc.
Significant Bank & Single Creditor Representations
- Canadian-chartered bank as creditor and derivative counterparty in Lehman Bros. Chapter 11 cases
- Secured lender (major automobile company) in Visteon Corporation Chapter 11 case
- U.S. bank as administrative and collateral agent in the restructuring of $225 million of loans to a publicly held hospitality company
- U.S. bank as exit lender in Chapter 11 case of auto parts manufacturer
- U.S. bank as administrative and collateral agent in workout of $175 million of debt of a major dairy company
- Canadian-chartered bank as defendant in litigation related to Stanford International Bank, Ltd.
- DIP lender and majority equity holder in Heartland Automotive Services, Inc. Chapter 11 cases
- DIP lender and majority equity holder in Nationwide Warehouse & Storage, Inc. Chapter 11 cases
- DIP lender in WCI Steel Company and J&L Structural, Inc. cases
- Canadian chartered bank as prepetition secured lender and adversary defendant in Enron Corp Chapter 11 case
- Canadian chartered bank as prepetition lender and adversary defendant in Adelphia Communications Corporation Chapter 11 case
- Bank lender in Bethlehem Steel Corporation Chapter 11 case
- Bank lender in Family Golf Centers, Inc. Chapter 11 case
- Bank lender in Carbide-Graphite, Inc. Chapter 11 case
- Bank lender in F.A.T.S. loan workout
- Bank in Open Plan Systems, Inc. Chapter 11 case
- Bank lender in Safety-Kleen Corp. Chapter 11 case
- Bank lenders in numerous real estate loan workouts and bankruptcy filings
- Large unsecured creditor in FLYi, Inc. Chapter 11 case
- Several unsecured creditors in Calpine Corporation Chapter 11 case
- Several unsecured creditors in WorldCom, Inc. Chapter 11 case
- National bankruptcy counsel to telecom company
- National bankruptcy counsel to diversified security and fire protection company
Significant Committee Representations
- U.S. Energy Biogas Corporation
- Rowe Furniture Company, Inc.
- Three A’s Holding, LLC (d/b/a Tower Records)
- CEP Products, Inc.
- Pittsburgh Brewing Co.
- Aerobox Composite Structures, LLC
- Bronco Hazelton Co.
- Global Industrial Technologies, Inc.
- North American Refractories Co.
- A.B. Dick Co.
- Ormet Corporation
- NTELOS, Inc.
- Vanguard Airlines, Inc.
- National Spa & Pool Institute
- Trak Auto Corporation
- Fas Mart Convenience Stores, Inc.
- Schwinn Bicycle Company