Capital Raising and Deal Making in 2014
September 10, 2014
Dallas Tower Club
1601 Elm Street
Dallas, TX 75201
McGuireWoods LLP, Crowe Horwath, PEF Services and other industry leaders discussed key topics affecting the front and back offices that will drive the success of a private equity fund.
- Identifying new rules and regulations affecting the capital-raising markets (JOBS Act, FATCA, Volcker Rule, Dodd-Frank, SEC announcements and enforcement actions)
- Evaluating the dynamic LP and GP relationship – where it stands today and how the SEC is trying to change it
- Reviewing trends in limited partners’ process for evaluating funds and ILPA standards
- Recognizing how to build an auction for your company
- Discovering how to breathe life into a tired fund
Panel I: Managing and Running a PE Firm
Leading advisors discussed forming and operating a fund in the new regulatory environment.
- What are limited partners looking for in a fund?
- What is operational due diligence?
- What are the best practices regarding the allocation of fees and expenses?
- How can funds be structured to mitigate risk and to create tax efficiencies without becoming administratively burdensome?
- Christian Fuentes, Managing Director, Investar Financial
- Brian Keller, Partner, Crowe Horwath LLP
- J. Kevin Boardman, Partner, McGuireWoods LLP
- Anne Anquillare, Co-Founder and CEO, PEF Services LLC, Moderator
Panel II: Buying and Selling – Deals in Today's Market
Leading PE experts discussed buying and selling deals in today’s market.
- Where is the PE overhang in vintage 2010 taking us today?
- What are the deal differentiators that set buyers or sellers apart?
- How are PE firms making money given the overvaluation in the current environment?
- What are the key reasons deals fail?
- Taylor Curtis, Director, MHT Partners LP
- Justin Kaplan, Partner, Balance Point Capital Partners
- Tom Vande Berg, Partner, Crowe Horwath LLP
- Mary Ann Travers, Partner, Crowe Horwath LLP, Moderator