Five McGuireWoods LLP partners from the firm’s Austin and Houston offices have been named Texas “Super Lawyers” for 2014. Lawyer rating service Super Lawyers will publish this year’s survey findings in its Texas Super Lawyers magazine, as well as in the October 2014 issue of Texas Monthly magazine.
McGuireWoods’ 2014 Texas “Super Lawyers” are:
- Thomas M. Farrell, Houston, Business Litigation. Farrell is the managing partner of the firm’s Houston office. He handles complex commercial cases and class actions and has substantial experience representing plaintiffs and defendants in construction disputes; securities cases; oil and gas, and real estate disputes; insurance coverage cases; ERISA cases; and a variety of breach-of-contract, fraud, and tortious-interference matters.
- Ron Franklin, Houston, General Litigation. Franklin has tried or been involved in virtually every kind of business or personal injury case, including securities, contract, business torts, products liability, libel and slander, legal malpractice, ERISA, and labor and employment. He has obtained jury verdicts in both state and federal courts on behalf of commercial, libel and personal injury clients; and defense verdicts on behalf of Fortune 100 companies.
- J. Mark Lawless, Austin, Insurance Coverage. Lawless is managing partner of the firm’s Austin office. He concentrates on matters relating to insurance law, litigation and appeals. He provides counsel to corporate policyholders in all types of first- and third-party coverage disputes, including general and products liability, directors and officers, employment practices, construction, contractual indemnity, advertising injury, property, business interruption, and environmental, asbestos, and other "long-tail" claims.
- Jacks C. Nickens, Houston, Civil Litigation: Defense. Nickens focuses on complex civil litigation, with an emphasis on securities matters. He has represented clients before numerous government agencies, including the SEC, FDIC, and CFTC. He has an intimate knowledge of mortgage-backed securities and financial markets.
- David L. Ronn, Houston, Securities and Corporate Finance. Ronn has experience in a wide range of corporate and securities matters, with concentrations in the energy and technology industries that span from representation of U.S. public entities to start-ups to cross-border transactions. He serves as co-head of strategic development for the firm’s energy practice.
As part of the selection process, Super Lawyers identifies candidates through independent research and by inviting lawyers in each state to nominate the best lawyers they have observed in action. The publication’s lawyer-led research staff evaluates candidates on 12 indicators of peer recognition and professional achievement. Candidates also undergo a peer review by practice area.