McGuireWoods ranked among the top U.S. law firms on The American Lawyer’s 2016 Corporate Scorecard, a survey of the most active corporate finance and capital markets practices, and had a strong showing in Bloomberg’s and Thomson Reuters’ first-quarter league tables.
The firm had the third-highest number of issues, 43, with $24.43 billion in proceeds, and jumped 21 spots on Corporate Scorecard’s “Investment: Issuer representatives, by volume” chart. Corporate Scorecard ranks leading law firms based on the number and value of the deals they handled last year in specific transactional areas.
In addition, the Capital Markets team had a strong first quarter in 2016. McGuireWoods ranked among the top-performing firms in Bloomberg’s Global Legal Adviser League Tables for the first three months of the year, with rankings in the following categories:
- 4th in volume ($2.1 billion) for U.S. High Yield Issue Advisers, up five places from the first quarter of 2015, and 5th in deal count;
- 12th in volume ($5.8 billion) for U.S. Corporate Issuer/Borrower Advisers, up six places from last year; and
- 18th in volume ($3.7 billion) for U.S. Investment Grade Issuer Advisers, up six places from last year.
The firm also made gains in Thomson Reuters’ U.S. Capital Markets Review for the first quarter, earning rankings in the following categories:
- 13th in volume ($5.2 billion) for U.S. Straight Debt Issuer Advisers Excluding Asset-Backed and Mortgage Backed Securities;
- 15th in volume ($5.2 billion) for U.S. Straight Debt Issuer Advisers Including Asset-Backed and Mortgage-Backed Securities; and
- 17th in deal count for U.S. Debt, Equity and Equity-Related Issuer Advisers and 19th in volume ($6.05 billion).
“These rankings reflect the dedication of our lawyers and the depth of our capital markets practice,” said Richard Viola, chair of McGuireWoods’ Securities Department. “We are proud to represent our clients in these transactions.”
With more than 50 lawyers worldwide, McGuireWoods’ capital markets team has earned global recognition for its representation of corporate issuers and underwriters in a variety of transactions. In addition, BTI recently ranked McGuireWoods sixth out of more than 300 firms on its 2016 “Client Service A-Team,” which highlights an elite group of firms singled out for their client service excellence based on unprompted feedback from clients in major companies.