Because clients’ interests are not limited to geographic boundaries, McGuireWoods has teams of attorneys based in our offices abroad with experience in all aspects of international employment law. We can assist you in addressing:
- Business Reorganizations
- Collective Bargaining
- Directors’ Service Agreements
- Employee Share Option Schemes
- Employment Aspects of Business Transfers (TUPE)
- Employment Contracts, Including Breach of Contract and Bonus Disputes
- Employment Share Option Schemes
- EU and Domestic Information and Consultation Obligations
- European Legislation
- Expatriate Assignments
- Family-Friendly Working, Including Maternity, Paternity, Adoption and Flexible Working
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act Compliance
- Foreign Trade Union Issues
- Garden Leave, Post Termination Restrictions and Obligations (such as Nonsolicitation, Noncompete)
- International Mergers and Acquisitions
- Litigation in the English Employment Tribunal, the English High Court, the Belgium Labour Court and Other Jurisdictions
- Part-Time, Fixed-Term and Agency Workers erformance, Conduct and Ill-Health Issues
- Policy and Staff Handbooks
- Redundancy Programs
- Restraint of Trade Issues
- Secondment Agreements
- Statutory Severance Obligations
- The Working Time Regulations 1998
- Unlawful Deduction from Wages
- Work Permits and Visas
- Wrongful Dismissal Claims
Our clients have operations and needs that span the globe, and we are committed to providing the representation they need to protect and advance their interests. With this aim, McGuireWoods has developed extensive international employment law capabilities, with teams of employment lawyers based in London and Brussels acting as a hub for servicing the full range of clients’ requirements in the U.K., Belgium, Europe and the rest of the world.
A World of Experience
Our London and Brussels employment teams provide day-to-day human resources support to clients, including advice regarding the recruitment and termination of key employees, compliance with the often complex requirements of international employment law, and various aspects of international corporate transactions. We also provide advice concerning redundancies and reorganizations, including related multijurisdictional requirements.
Further, our London team has particular expertise in the area of employment litigation. This includes matters in the English Employment Tribunal (including defending claims for unfair dismissal and sensitive and high-value discrimination and whistleblower actions). Such representation also includes defending and prosecuting matters in the English High Court for disputes involving breach of contract, claims for damages, demands for injunctive and other relief for breach of garden leave requirements, breach of post-termination restrictive covenants, and misuse of confidential information.
In addition to advising on employment matters governed by English and Belgian law, we routinely deal with clients’ international employment law issues in and outside of Europe. In the London office alone, we have lawyers qualified in 17 jurisdictions who speak 27 different languages. We also have access to an extensive network of local counsel in practically every jurisdiction in the world. These experiences and contacts allow us to coordinate the provision of employment advice in multiple jurisdictions, shouldering this burden for clients and ensuring that advice received from local counsel meets the high standards of quality clients have come to expect from McGuireWoods.