12 - 12:30 p.m. Lunch
12:30 - 2:45 p.m. Program
1 hour ethics credit anticipated
1 hour professionalism credit anticipated
McGuireWoods invites you to attend Tom Spahn's annual ethics program. In the first hour, Spahn will use hypotheticals to explore lawyers’ confidentiality and disclosure duties in the context of non-clients’ misconduct.
Confidentiality: Part V
Clients’ Past and Ongoing Misconduct
- Duty to disclose clients’ past fraud on tribunals, or past misconduct in noncorporate and corporate settings
- Distinguishing between past and ongoing client misconduct (including fugitive clients)
- Client crimes’ fruits and instrumentalities
- Lawyers’ silence that causes anguish to victims’ families, or allows a wrongly convicted person to remain incarcerated
In the second hour, Spahn will explore professionalism issues facing lawyers advocating for civil rights and diversity.
Civil Rights and Diversity: Part II (Professional Issues)
- Lawyers’ communications about their cases and about judges
- Ghostwriting and discovery issues
- Challenging court orders and existing law
Thomas E. Spahn
Spahn has served on the ABA Standing Committee on Ethics and Professional
Responsibility, and has spoken at more than 1,700 CLE programs on ethics and
other topics. Tom was selected as the 2013 metro-Washington, D.C., "Lawyer of
the Year" for "Bet the Company Litigation" by Best Lawyers®.
For more information, please contact Bridget Light at