Episode 11: Examining the Impact of Proposed HIPAA Changes on Medical Records Requests
On this episode of Health+Tech, McGuireWoods partners Andrea Lee Linna and Jonathan Ishee are joined by
Zack Perry, senior vice president of strategy for HealthMark and president of the Association of Health Information Outsourcing Services (AHIOS). They will examine the impact of proposed HIPAA rule changes on medical records requests. Topics will include:
- Best practices for responding to patient medical record requests
- Interplay of access requests with health apps and APIs
- Compliance threats that pertain to medical record access
- How the HIPAA proposed rule may shift additional costs onto healthcare providers
- OCR’s “Right to Access Initiatives” and recent settlements against healthcare providers that fail to provide timely patients access to medical records
video podcast explores issues and trends at the intersection of healthcare,
technology and innovation. The podcast is presented by the firm’s Digital
Health, Technology and Innovation Group, which helps clients navigate
transactional, regulatory and compliance challenges in areas such as telehealth,
data privacy and security, and health information technology.
partners Andrea Lee
Kristen Woodrum, the podcast features healthcare innovators and keeps listeners
up to date on the laws that apply to businesses at the intersection of
healthcare and technology. Videos are posted on YouTube and social media channels. Podcasts also are available on iTunes and Spotify.
*All lawyers featured in this video worked at McGuireWoods LLP at the
time of filming.
Episode 10: A Look at the
Proposed HIPAA Changes
Andrea Lee Linna and Jonathan Ishee are joined by fellow McGuireWoods digital health team member Michael Paluzzi to discuss proposed HIPAA changes that may require covered entities and business associates to overhaul their HIPAA policies and procedures in 2022.
After providing a high-level overview of the proposed changes, the podcast turns to a live recording of Andrea and Jonathan’s recent webinar, “Preparing for Major HIPAA Changes in 2022,” offering in-depth details about the proposed changes and how to prepare for them in the new year.
Episode 9: Digital Health Trends and Issues for Life Sciences Companies
McGuireWoods healthcare attorneys
Kate Hardey, Kae Gruner and Royce DuBiner discuss the latest digital health updates from the Food and Drug Administration and Federal Trade Commission. Join the conversation as we wrap up Cybersecurity Awareness Month and discuss the following topics:
- FDA draft guidance on electronic health records and medical claims data
- FDA new resource for approved artificial intelligence/machine learning medical devices
- FDA Digital Health Center of Excellence
- FTC rules for health apps outside of HIPAA
Episode 8: Telehealth Barriers
Michele Satterlund, senior vice president in the state government relations practice of McGuireWoods Consulting and a partner with McGuireWoods,
examines the emergence of telehealth, particularly during the pandemic. She also looks at how telehealth is evaluated state by state and discusses the need for uniform best practices.
Episode 7: Houston Ready to Become the Third Coast for Biotechnology
Donna Chang, founder and CEO of Hope
Biosciences, discusses how Texas — particularly Houston — is making a
name for itself in biotechnology by attracting research funding, supporting
premier academic medical centers and welcoming investment by major
pharmaceutical companies. Hope Biosciences, a stem cell biotechnology company
that has flourished as part of the biotech cluster in the Houston area, is
helping to make Texas the third coast for biotechnology.
Episode 6: Health Information Exchange and Security
Jonathan Ishee and
Andrea Lee Linna talk to George Gooch, CEO of the
Texas Health Services Authority (THSA), about their cybersecurity, health
information exchange and pandemic surveillance initiatives. They also discuss:
- Information blocking rule compliance
- Recent Texas legislation (now signed into law) affecting healthcare
- The role of health information exchange in public health
surveillance THSA initiatives using open-source digital health tools to
provide real-time situational awareness to healthcare providers during the
Episode 5: Venture Capital in Digital Health
Dr. Anwar Hussain, General Partner at RhythmVC and McGuireWoods Chicago partner Andrea Lee Linna
discuss digital healthcare and the nuts and bolts needed to create better systems. Their discussion covers:
- What venture capital is looking for when investing in digital health
- Opportunities for startups in healthcare business-to-business software
- How healthcare regulations impact digital health investment
- Application of artificial intelligence, blockchain and the internet of things to healthcare data
Episode 4: Exploring Recent Changes in Interoperability and Information Blocking
For this episode of Health+Tech,
Riplinger, vice president of policy and government affairs at AHIMA.
the following topics:
- The new Cures Act patient access rule and how to comply with the open
- Trends in health information interoperability among healthcare entities
- Compliance needs for information-blocking rules and exceptions
Episode 3: Leveraging Technology to Improve Physician Contracting
On this episode of
Health+Tech, please join Ludi founder and CEO
Gail Peace and McGuireWoods partner Andrea Lee
Linna as they discuss how technology can further healthcare compliance,
- How providers can leverage technology to streamline their physician
contracting processes to reduce administrative burdens on physicians and
- How the Anti-Kickback Statute and Stark Law apply to physician
contracting and how providers can leverage technology to ensure regulatory
- How process automation can improve business efficiencies and physician
Episode 2: Edge of Digital Health Transformation
On this episode of Health+Tech, hear from healthcare IT executive John Glaser discussing key issues in the digital health space.
John is a former senior vice president of Population Health at Cerner Corporation, and a former CEO of Siemens Health Services. Before that, he was CIO at Partners HealthCare and senior advisor at the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology. He also serves on the board for a number of healthcare organizations.
Episode 1: Post-Pandemic Healthcare Compliance and Enforcement Priorities
On this episode of Health+Tech, we speak with McGuireWoods partner Michael
Podberesky about government enforcement trends at the intersection of
healthcare and technology.
A former federal prosecutor in the U.S. Department of Justice’s Civil Fraud
Section, Michael recently joined McGuireWoods’ nationally recognized Government
Investigations & White Collar Litigation and Healthcare Departments
and co-chairs the firm’s False Claims Act investigations, litigation and
On this podcast we discuss:
- Post-pandemic compliance and enforcement
- The Biden administration’s
digital health enforcement priorities
- Preparing for enforcement in an
evolving regulatory landscape
- Addressing billing errors that occurred during
- Government investigations and prosecutor’s enforcement approach
among different sizes and types of providers
- Responding to a subpoena or
civil investigative demand
Video and presentation materials © 2022 McGuireWoods LLP. All rights reserved.
*All lawyers featured in this video worked at McGuireWoods LLP at the time of filming.