A former state and federal prosecutor handling high-profile matters, Bob currently represents multinational corporations navigating the complex web of laws and regulations that challenge today’s international business community. He offers particular experience related to complex frauds, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, international data privacy laws and corporate compliance.
On behalf of clients, many of them Fortune 100 companies, Bob handles criminal and regulatory investigations, as well as their parallel civil and administrative proceedings, regarding matters before the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, the U.S Department of Justice, and the departments of State, Treasury and Commerce. His cases have involved alleged False Claims Act violations, antitrust matters, securities fraud, mail and wire fraud, money laundering, defense contractor fraud, public corruption, healthcare fraud, and import/export violations. In addition, he advises corporations on developing, evaluating and implementing effective compliance programs.
In the public sector, Bob served as deputy independent counsel under Ken Starr. Bob also served on the team investigating the Whitewater case, and he managed the Office of Independent Counsel’s Little Rock office.
As assistant state’s attorney in Annapolis, Maryland, Bob handled numerous jury trials, prosecuting charges of capital murder, white collar crime and other felonies. He has testified before the Maryland State Legislature regarding criminal law issues, he has appeared on numerous national news programs, and he has been quoted in a range of newspapers, books and magazines.
- Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption (FCPA)
- Campaign Finance Investigations and Enforcement
- Commercial Litigation
- Congressional Investigations
- Educational Institutions Investigations
- Government Investigations & White Collar Litigation
- Law Enforcement Policy and Practice Reviews
- Political Investigations Litigation and Enforcement
- District of Columbia
- Panelist, Government Regulatory and Enforcement Outlook 2022, March 16 & 17, 2022
- Speaker, Food Safety Crisis & Risk Management, McGuireWoods LLP Webinar, March 3, 2016
- Speaker, "Implementing Compliance Action Plans: Lessons Learned from a One-Year Plan", ECOA’s 23rd Annual Ethics & Compliance Conference, Ethics and Compliance Officer Association, March 19, 2015
- Speaker, "From Risk Assessment to Compliance Program: How to Translate In-Country Risk Assessment to Successful Policies and Procedures in High-Risk Markets", 31st American Conference Institute International Conference, November 18, 2014
- Speaker, FCPA Webinar for Board of Governors, Money Management Institute, January 23, 2014
- Speaker, New Era of Aggressive Insider Trading Enforcement Panel (the STOCK ACT and Political Intelligence), Business Lawyers Institute, November 13, 2013
- Catholic University of America Columbus School of LawJD1987
- University of MarylandBA1984
Selected for inclusion in “Legal 500 United States,” Corporate Investigations and White-Collar Criminal Defense, 2020-2023
Named a Client Service “All-Star,” BTI Consulting, 2018
Selected for inclusion as a “Leading Lawyer,” White-Collar Criminal Defense, Legal 500 US, 2016
- Author, Congressional Investigations: Beyond Sensational Headlines — Incoming House Leaders Announce Broad Investigative Priorities Targeting Business Community, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, December 19, 2018
- Author, 5 Key Takeaways from McGuireWoods’ Latest Food Safety Crisis & Risk Management Webinar, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 8, 2016
- Author, A New FCPA Policy May Be Coming, but Questions Remain, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, November 13, 2015
- Co-author, "Are You Prepared for Obesity Litigation?", Food Technology, September 1, 2014