Terry is the former deputy managing partner of the firm and former chairman of the firm’s litigation department. Terry’s practice focuses on products liability, toxic tort and commercial litigation.
He has extensive experience in defending clients in automotive, power products, and asbestos litigation. He has litigated throughout the United States and has tried products cases to verdict in state and federal courts. He has also argued cases in state and federal courts of appeal. He has served as national and regional counsel in mass tort cases, including cases pending before various multidistrict litigation (MDL) courts.
Terry has also represented automotive manufacturers in crashworthiness cases in state and federal courts. In addition to his trial work, he has mediated numerous cases throughout the United States. He has also represented large, national clients in antitrust litigation cases involving allegations of price-fixing.
Terry is the former head of the firm’s consumer products safety team. He has represented a wide variety of manufacturers before the Consumer Product Safety Commission. He has relied on his many years of CPSC experience to develop creative recall and corrective action plans for clients. He has spoken before a number of groups and has published in the area of consumer product safety and risk management. He has also counseled clients in various areas of risk management including literature reviews and analysis of product warnings.
- Campbell University, Norman Adrian Wiggins School of LawJD1982
- Virginia Commonwealth UniversityBA1977
Member, Defense Research Institute
Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association
Chair, Campbell University School of Law Board of Visitors
- Author, CPSC Imposes Far-Reaching Penalties Including Mandatory Compliance Program Requirements, Articulates Compliance Program Expectations for All Companies, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, May 17, 2013
- Author, Congress Passes Bill Lessening Burden of Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, August 5, 2011
- Author, Congress Passes Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, August 8, 2008
- Co-author, "The New Federal Rules for Electronic Discovery: A Primer for Products Liability Counsel and Clients", Product Liability Defenses: A State-by-State Compendium, Defense Research Institute, 2007 edition
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Federal Court
Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, Product Liability Litigation – Defendants, Woodward/White, Inc., 2007-2024
Selected for inclusion in “Legal 500 United States,” Product Liability, Mass Tort and Class Actions – Automotive/Transport – Defense. 2022; Product Liability, Mass Tort and Class Action – Consumer Products – Defense, 2022, 2023; Product Liability, Mass Tort and Class Actions – Toxic Tort – Defense, 2022, 2023
Selected for inclusion in America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Litigation: General Commercial, 2011, 2013; Litigation: Products Liability, 2014-2020, 2022; Products Liability & Toxic Torts, 2023; Virginia, Chambers USA
Selected for inclusion in “Legal 500 United States,” Product Liability, Mass Tort and Class Actions – Automotive/Transport – Defense, 2021
Named to “Virginia Super Lawyers,” Class Action/Mass Torts, Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2012-2021
Selected for inclusion as a “Leading Lawyer,” Transport: Rail And Road, Virginia, Legal 500 US, 2018
Selected for inclusion as a “Leading Lawyer,” Sports, Virginia, Legal 500 US, 2017-2018
Selected for inclusion as a “Leading Lawyer,” Product Liability, Mass Tort and Class Action: Consumer Products, Virginia, Legal 500 US, 2016-2018
AV Rated, Martindale-Hubbell