David’s practice focuses on the areas of public finance and federal, state and local taxation. He also serves as bond counsel for government bond issues, including general obligation, revenue and “subject to appropriation” financings for water and sewer projects, community development authorities, public schools and roads, commuter rail and other transportation facilities, and in tax-exempt financings for nonprofit organizations, including private elementary and secondary schools, and health care providers.
In 2020 and 2021 David was selected as “One to Watch” for Public Finance by Best Lawyers. David also maintains a robust pro bono practice and represents the firm at the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, Civil Case Clinic, which provides pro bono legal services to the community in a variety of areas. David additionally serves on the Pro Bono Committee for the firm’s Richmond office.
Prior to joining McGuireWoods, David represented businesses in a variety of corporate and taxation issues, and served as lender’s counsel in multiple loan closings. David also assisted in drafting appellate briefs to the Supreme Court of Virginia.
After law school, David clerked for Chief Judge Glen A. Huff of the Court of Appeals of Virginia. While in law school, David interned for then-Magistrate Judge M. Hannah Lauck at the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, Richmond Division and served as the manuscripts editor for the University of Richmond Law Review.
University of Richmond School of LawJD
cum laude, Manuscripts Editor, University of Richmond Law Review2013
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State UniversityBAHistory
Member, Business Law Section, Virginia State Bar
Member, National Association of Bond Lawyers
Member, Local Government Attorneys of Virginia
Board Member, Maymont Dooley Noted Society
Young Lawyers Section, Richmond Bar Association
- Speaker, "One Size Does Not Fit All – Municipal Securities Disclosures", Infrastructure Financing Conference, April 4, 2019
- Hon. Glen A. Huff, Virginia Court of Appeals, 2013-2015
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, Public Finance Law, 2021-2024
Named to “Pro Bono Service Honor Roll,” Virginia Access to Justice Commission, 2022
Named to “Virginia Rising Stars,” Government Finance, Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2022, 2023
- Author, Federal Reserve Announces Expansion of Eligible Issuers for MLF Program, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 16, 2020
- Author, Federal Reserve Board Expands the Scope and Duration of the Municipal Liquidity Facility, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 29, 2020
- Author, Treasury Approves New Municipal Liquidity Facility to Aid States, Counties and Cities, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 10, 2020