Dan focuses his practice on strategic and private equity-backed mergers and acquisitions and securities transactions. He represents investors and corporate clients in a variety of complex domestic and cross-border transactional matters, including mergers, asset and equity acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures, structured equity investments, public and private securities offerings and PIPE transactions. He also counsels clients on technology, intellectual property and other commercial transactions, as well as day-to-day corporate governance matters.
Dan’s experience encompasses a variety of industries, including financial services, software, SAAS and information technology, pharmaceuticals and biotechnology, manufacturing, energy, private equity, venture capital and alternative investments.
Dan earned his law degree and MBA from the University of Pittsburgh, where he served as Editor in Chief of the University of Pittsburgh Law Review and was an was an editor and writer for JURIST. He also earned BA and BS undergraduate degrees at Pitt, studying philosophy, psychology, and history and philosophy of science.
- Representation of an Asia-based alternative investment group in a $500 million of cross-border PIPE and PIPE-alternative investments.
- Representation of a European alternative investment group’s purchase of a $550 million commodities warehousing business from one of the world’s largest investment banks.
- Representation of Canadian pharmaceutical and biotechnology development company in multiple registered offerings on public U.S. exchanges.
- Representation of Pittsburgh-based hedge fund a $20 million going-private tender-offer acquisition of a Nasdaq-traded software company.
- Representation of a pharmaceutical development company in negotiating a strategic partnership for IP commercialization with a top research university.
- Representation of a Pittsburgh-based cybersecurity firm in a $200 million exit transaction.
- Representation of a group of the top pharmaceutical companies in the world in formation and governance of a not-for-profit industry consortium for the advancement of safety protocols in development of high-risk biologics.
- Representation of multiple early-stage ventures in artificial intelligence, fintech, cryptocurrency, and biotechnology in governance, cybersecurity, commercial transactions and fund-raising matters.
- Representation of a nationally ranked startup incubator and accelerator in portfolio company transactions, governance and securities regulation matters, and formation of a partnership with a major hospital system.
- Representation of a private equity fund in acquiring a Pennsylvania oil and gas wellsite operations company.
- Representation of a top New York-based alternative investment firm in negotiation of its IT contracts.
- Representation of an American auto parts manufacturer in renegotiation of a large-scale supply contract with a German automaker.
- Counsel to a payment-processing company on FinCEN guidance on clearing cryptocurrency transactions.
- Counsel to a Fortune 500 public industrial conglomerate on revisions to various corporate governance policies and negotiations with activist investors.
- Counsel to a multinational oil and gas company on governance and structure of Marcellus Shale operating entities.
- Representation of a professional sports franchise in construction of a new practice facility in partnership with a major health system.
- Representation of a Chinese investment conglomerate in its acquisition of a U.S. film and television production company.
University of Pittsburgh School of LawJD
Editor-in-Chief, University of Pittsburgh Law Review, Vol. 732012
- University of Pittsburgh Joseph M. Katz Graduate School of BusinessMBA2012
- University of PittsburghBABS, Philosophy, Psychology, and History of Philosophy of Science2007
Leadership Pittsburgh, Leadership Development Initiative XXIX Corhort, 2021-2022
Urban Innovation21 Grant Committee, 2014-2015
- District of Columbia
Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, Corporate Governance and Compliance Law, Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Securities/Capital Markets Law, 2024
Urban Innovation21 Inclusive Innovation Champion, 2014
Recipient, U.S. Small Business Administration Mid-Atlantic Small Business Award, Recognition in Publishing, 2008