Andrew is a member of the firm’s nationally ranked Government Investigations and White Collar Litigation department practice. A focus of his career, in both Europe and the US, has been advising companies and their leadership in navigating sensitive issues that bring in tow criminal, regulatory, litigious, reputational, and political repercussions.
A dual-qualified solicitor and attorney, Andrew joined our D.C. office from London, bringing with him international experience in cross-border and domestic matters, including conducting sensitive internal investigations, responding to grand jury and government investigations into criminal and regulatory issues, responding to and preparing for parliamentary inquiries and hearings, and negotiating and concluding resolutions with enforcement authorities.
His work has focused on matters concerning corruptions laws, including the UK Bribery Act and the FCPA, securities fraud and market manipulation, complex fraud, financial services regulation, and sanctions and money laundering issues, that have involved a number of authorities, including the DOJ, SEC, OCC, the FEC, FINRA, the UK’s Serious Fraud Office, the FCA, Trading Standards, the Health and Safety Executive, the City of London Police Economic Crime Directorate, and the German Public Prosecutor General.
Andrew also has an active pro bono practice focusing on anti-human trafficking matters.
- Successfully secured the second Deferred Prosecution Agreement (DPA) to be approved in the UK.
- Counsel to a UK technology company and its US parent concerning a Bribery Act/FCPA investigation and subsequent self-report to the UK’s Serious Fraud Office concerning conduct in China, Korea, and India.
- Counsel of a major financial institution in multi-year enforcement actions by the OCC, SEC, and DOJ that resulted in a DPA.
- Counsel to Fortune 100 corporation in multi-year grand jury investigations into matters arising from the distribution and sale of opioids.
- Counsel to a major automotive company in investigations by German authorities into alleged international bribery that resulted in a declination.
- Counsel to a South Asian headquartered company in government investigation and related internal investigation into suspected UK Bribery Act offenses.
- Counsel to a UK Company in a government investigation and related internal investigation into potential breaches of Iranian sanctions and associated export controls.
- Counsel to an individual in a UK/US cross-border Libor manipulation investigation.
- Conducted an internal investigation concerning complex fraud relating to misappropriating ~$500m of assets backing financial instruments.
- Counsel to an international Fortune 500 in a corporate manslaughter investigation conducted by health and safety enforcement authorities.
- Representation of international certification and auditing company in SEC investigation.
- Represented corporations in responding to FINRA inquiries.
- Representation of US companies concerning alleged improper corporate reimbursements of federal and state political contributions.
- Assisting clients in the assessment and defense of claims under Titles III of the Helms-Burton Act.
- Advising multiple clients on preparing and updating anti-bribery and other compliance policies and procedures.
Georgetown University Law CenterLLM
Dean’s List with Distinction, Merit Scholarship2021
- BPP Law SchoolQLTS2008
- University of KwaZulu-NatalLLB2005
Member, London Solicitors Litigation Association
Member, Regulated Industries Lawyers Group
- Author, Ericsson to Pay $206M in Fines for Alleged Violation of FCPA Deferred Prosecution Agreement, Subject to Inquiry, March 9, 2023
- Author, Cross-Border Enforcement and Trends — 2022 Year in Review, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 21, 2023
- Author, New Incentives Added to the Criminal Division’s Corporate Enforcement Policy, Subject to Inquiry, January 20, 2023
- Author, SEC Adopts Significant Changes to Securities Exchange Act Rule 10b5-1 and Imposes Related Disclosures, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, December 19, 2022
- Co-author, Assessing 2 FCPA Actions Under Lens Of Corp. Crime Memos, Law360, December 7, 2022
- Author, Brazilian Airline to Pay Millions in Coordinated Foreign Bribery Resolution, Subject to Inquiry, September 21, 2022
- Author, DOJ Declines to Prosecute UK Company After Cross-Border Bribery Investigation, Subject to Inquiry, March 31, 2022
- Author, Cybersecurity and Data Privacy – What to expect in 2022, Password Protected, February 2, 2022
- Contributor, Part 1: Cybersecurity, Global Investigations Review's The Practitioner’s Guide to Global Investigations: Sixth Edition, 2022
- Contributor, "Privilege – United Kingdom", Global Investigations Review's Know-How, December 31, 2021
- Author, "Securing corporate convictions: differences between the US and UK", Financier Worldwide Magazine, April 2021
- Contributor, Chapter 41: Cybersecurity, Global Investigations Review's The Practitioner’s Guide to Global Investigations: Fifth Edition, 2021
- Author, "Corporate internal investigations – what you need to know if your business is international", Financier Worldwide Magazine, March 2021
- Author, "Crime fighting across borders: what every corporation needs to know", Financier Worldwide Magazine, February 2021
- Author, UK’s Regulator of Banks and Financial Services Releases Its Business Plan for 2020/2021, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 30, 2020
- Co-author, "The Law and Practice of International Investigations: Privilege", Global Investigations Review, October 5, 2017
- Contributor, "Banks and Financial Crime – The International Law of Tainted Money: Second Edition", Oxford University Press, January 1, 2017
- Author, "UK set to shake up Corruption and Money Laundering Enforcement", Subject to Inquiry, October 13, 2016
- Author, "The Anti-Corruption Summit – UK Plans for further corporate criminal offences", Subject to Inquiry, May 12, 2016
- Author, "The SFO’s ‘ongoing’ investigation into Alstom – Further Charges", Subject to Inquiry, March 29, 2016
- Author, "Sharper Teeth for Sanctions Enforcement", Subject to Inquiry, March 7, 2016
- Author, "The SFO’s ‘Seize and Sift’ Procedure", Subject to Inquiry, February 8, 2016
- Author, "The Serious Fraud Office’s bribery charges against Alstom", Subject to Inquiry, September 30, 2014
- Author, "UK Government’s response to the department for business, innovation, and skills ‘whistleblowing framework’", Subject to Inquiry, July 22, 2014
- District of Columbia
- Solicitor England and Wales
- South Africa
- Speaker, "Why the UK Bribery Act is a global compliance issue", European Healthcare Industry Training: Compliance Certification Program, June 6-9, 2016