Dan’s practice encompasses substantially all aspects of commercial real estate transactions with extensive experience in acquisitions and dispositions, leasing, real estate and construction finance, and land use, as well as related corporate matters.
Following graduation from Wake Forest University School of Law and several years as a litigator for AmLaw 50 firms, Dan served as chief executive and general counsel for real estate focused private equity funds formed in the wake of the 2008 financial crisis. Since his return to large firm practice in 2019, Dan has employed this breath of experience to provide clients across the United States with direct, solution-based representation focused on sustained growth and optimization with each successive transaction. Dan serves clients ranging from developers and private equity and investment firms to financial and lending institutions of all sizes. With over two decades of real estate, corporate and litigation experience, Dan is able to employ his unique background to diligently advise clients in all phases of cyclical real estate markets.
Dan is also a nationally recognized arbitrator for the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) and a certified mediator for state and federal courts in North Carolina, and has served as a neutral in hundreds of general corporate and financial industry disputes. As an advocate, Dan has represented clients ranging from Fortune 50 financial institutions to mid-market private equity firms with experience spanning pre-litigation dispute resolution through trial by jury and appellate practice.
- Representation of real estate funds in acquisitions and dispositions of shopping centers throughout the nation.
- Representation of private equity firms in the acquisition, disposition, and restructuring of portfolio companies, with a focus on owned and leased legacy real estate.
- Representation of senior secured lender in $1.3 billion refinance and restructuring of a planned community in California.
- Representation of Fortune 50 financial institution in site acquisitions, leasing matters (as both landlord and tenant), and dispute resolution involving multi-state Class A office and retail portfolio.
- Representation of lenders in CMBS multifamily lending transactions (single asset and portfolio) and subsequent REPO line placement and/or securitization.
- Representation of family office in site selection, acquisition, development, construction and disposition of multifamily complexes and custom SFR construction.
- Representation of United States division of foreign based lending institution in multifamily construction loans throughout the United States.
- Representation of borrowers and lenders in restructuring, forbearance, short sale, foreclosure, insolvency and various other distressed real estate debt matters.
Wake Forest University School of LawJD
Editorial Staff, Wake Forest Law Review2000
- Davidson CollegeBA1997
Mecklenburg County Bar
North Carolina Bar Association
FINRA Arbitrator, Financial Industry Regulatory Authority
Certified Mediator, North Carolina Dispute Resolution Commission
Licensed Broker, North Carolina Real Estate Commission
Member, Global Legal Blockchain Consortium
Volunteer Attorney, Council for Children’s Rights
Volunteer Attorney, Safe Alliance
- North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina
North Carolina Pro Bono Honor Society, 2020, 2021, 2022