Melissa’s practice focuses on all aspects of labor and employment law. As a litigator, Melissa represents employers in state and federal court including defense of employers under Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), state discrimination suits, and sexual harassment suits. Melissa also represents employers in actions to enforce restrictive covenants.
Prior to joining the firm, Melissa worked for a private law firm representing school districts throughout Illinois. While in law school Melissa served as an articles editor of the Washington University Law Review and spent a semester interning with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services in the Office of Chief Counsel.
Washington University in St. Louis School of LawJD
cum laude, Dean’s List, Articles Editor, Washington University Law Review2016
- Washington University in St. LouisMSWThe Brown School2016
magna cum laude2012
- Author, DOJ and ED Issue Guidance on Supreme Court Affirmative Action Decision, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, August 22, 2023
- Author, Speak Out Act Bars Enforcement of Nondisclosure, Nondisparagement Clauses for Sexual Harassment, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, December 16, 2022
- Author, California Imposes Rebuttable Presumption for Workers’ Compensation for Employees With COVID-19, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, May 11, 2020
- Author, Protection for the Vulnerable: How Unaccompanied Minors From El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras Can Qualify for Asylum in the United States, Washington University Law Review, Vol. 93 WASH. U. L. REV. 205, 2015
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois