12 – 2:15 p.m. (ET)
McGuireWoods invites you and your colleagues to virtually attend Tom Spahn's annual ethics and professionalism issues program this year. The first hour of this interactive discussion will explore topics of interest to litigators and to transactional lawyers whose clients might face litigation.
Litigation Ethics: Key Issues
- Lawyers’ public communications about cases and judges
- Lawyers’ ex parte communications with adverse corporations’ current and former employees
- Threatening criminal or disciplinary charges
- Discovery techniques such as recording calls and accessing social media
- Exploiting inadvertently transmitted communications and metadata
- Filing ghostwritten and time-barred claims
The second hour will explore situations in which lawyers’ interests might conflict with their clients’ interests.
Professionalism Issues: Conflicts Between Georgia Lawyers and Their Clients (Part III)
- Duty to former clients
- File ownership (if the client has paid/not paid the lawyer)
- Arbitration of fee and malpractice disputes
- Settlement of clients’ claims against lawyers
Thomas E. Spahn
Partner, McGuireWoods LLP
Spahn has served on the ABA Standing Committee on Ethics and Professional Responsibility, and has spoken at more than 2,000 CLE programs on ethics and other topics. Tom was selected as the 2013 and 2020 metro-Washington, D.C., "Lawyer of the Year" for "Bet the Company Litigation" by Best Lawyers®.
We are seeking 1 hour ethics and 1 hour professionalism credits for this program.
Login details will be sent to registrants before the event.
For more information, contact Bridget Light
Our programs are intended for the benefit of our clients and contacts and we reserve the right to refuse any registration at our sole discretion.