John served as the chair of the firm’s Real Estate and Land Use Department for ten years. He practices in the area of commercial real estate, real estate finance, joint ventures and corporate transactions.
After graduating from the University of Notre Dame, he was actively involved in real estate development in Palm Beach County, Florida. During his real estate career he became experienced in nearly all aspects of real estate development, including site acquisitions, construction, financing, leasing, management, marketing and disposition of commercial and industrial properties both as asset manager for a Florida developer and as president of his own company.
His practical business experience has given him valuable insight and perspective into clients’ objectives and needs. He primarily represents clients engaged in the development, acquisition, leasing, management and financing of office, multifamily and retail properties across the United States. In connection with his representation, he has been involved with numerous large multisite and multistate property acquisitions, sales, financings and joint ventures. He has also represented real estate brokerage companies and a real estate investment advisory company in connection with regulatory and other issues unique to these portions of the real estate industry. He has experience with the negotiation and formation of partnerships and limited liability companies formed as joint ventures engaged in the ownership, development and operation of real estate projects.
At Northern Illinois University College of Law, John was a member of the national moot court team and the executive moot court board from 1993 to 1994. He served as student editor and research assistant to Daniel M. Schneider for Taxation of Dividends and Corporate Distributions at publisher Warren, Gorham & Lamont. He also presented the valedictory address during his law school commencement ceremonies.
- Representation of national real estate company in the acquisition and disposition of several multi-state and multi-jurisdictional multi-family projects.
- Representation of institutional real estate company in the negotiation and formation of real estate joint venture with a state pension fund.
- Representation of private equity group in the acquisition of multi-site, multi-jurisdictional portfolio of real estate properties, and negotiation and completion of sale leaseback transactions.
- Representation of Atlanta based real estate fund on the acquisition, disposition, financing and leasing of retail shopping centers.
- Representation of institutional real estate owner in the leasing and management of Class A office portfolio.
- Representation of public real estate company in the disposition of multi-jurisdictional office portfolio.
Northern Illinois University College of LawJD
- University of Notre DameBS1986
Member, Illinois State Bar Association
Member, Commercial Real Estate Section, State Bar of Georgia
Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law, Woodward/White, Inc., 2014-2024
Selected for inclusion in America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Real Estate, Georgia, Chambers USA, 2015-2023
- Author, 5 Key Takeaways on Food and Beverage M&A and Private Equity, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, May 23, 2016