Tanya is managing partner of the firm’s Downtown Los Angeles office. She is a respected litigator, an innovative diversity and pro bono champion, and an influential mentor. She works on high-profile, complex litigation for some of the most prominent corporations in the world. She has extensive experience managing consumer class actions and complex multi-plaintiff litigation for her Fortune 500 clients in heavily regulated industries, including finance, technology, aerospace and petroleum. Tanya frequently represents clients defending against class actions, multi-plaintiff and single-plaintiff cases that involve a variety of consumer-related claims, including claims alleging improper fee charges, breach of contract claims, products liability claims, consumer claims under the FDCPA, the Rosenthal Act, the Consumer Legal Remedies Act, the Unfair Competition Law, and a range of other state consumer protection statutes. As the firm’s West Coast Appellate Liaison, Tanya also devotes a substantial portion of her practice to appellate matters. She has argued cases in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit, the California Supreme Court, and several courts throughout California. Tanya also serves on the firm’s national recruiting committee.
Tanya has been consistently recognized over the years as a leading complex civil litigator. Tanya was recently named to the Los Angeles Business Journal’s 2023 “Women of Influence: Attorneys” list. The Daily Journal named her to its list of Top 100 Lawyers for 2022. L.A. Biz also named Tanya Greene to its 2021 Women of Influence list, an honor reserved for 10 women business leaders in the Los Angeles area for professional achievements, mentoring and commitment to their communities. Last year, the Daily Journal named Tanya to its list of Top Women Lawyers for 2021, honoring the most accomplished women attorneys practicing in California. In 2020, the Daily Journal selected a victory by Tanya and other McGuireWoods litigators for its 2020 “Top Verdicts” list.
- Defended major technology company in consumer class action in federal court against tort claims involving the availability and functionality of features on electronic devices.
- Defended hedge fund and related entities in putative class action based on alleged insider trading in connection with $50 billion unsolicited offer to Botox-maker, Allergan.
- Obtained early dismissal of putative consumer class action against major gas retailer alleging violations of California’s Unfair Competition Law, False Advertising Law and Consumer Legal Remedies Act over alleged failure to disclose debit card processing fees.
- Assisted in obtaining early dismissal of major gas retailer in putative consumer class action alleging violations of the Song-Beverly Credit Card Act.
- Represents automobile manufacturer in three putative class actions in California, Illinois, and Massachusetts alleging defects in rear deck-lid wiring in certain vehicles.
Complex Business Litigation
- Successfully second-chaired a trial where major oil refinery client was sued by a state regulator seeking more than $35 million in penalties.
- Successfully second-chaired trial in state court for claims arising out of failure to pay wages, breach of contract and fraud; obtained $10.2 million jury verdict on behalf of individual former employees of multi-billion dollar investment.
- Conducted witness examination at trial on behalf of debtor in dispute regarding priority of purported mechanic’s lien asserted by contractor of a toll road; obtained judgment in favor of client after trial.
- Represented Hollywood producer in a breach of contract and ownership dispute involving his production company.
- Represented major talent agency in trade secret litigation against a former sports agent for breach of confidentiality, non-solicitation and misappropriation of trade secrets. The case was profiled in The Wall Street Journal, the Los Angeles Times and the Sports Business Journal.
- Represented provider of insurance brokerage services and individual employees in litigation involving theft of trade secrets and the enforceability of non-compete and non-solicitation provisions.
- Defended a California law school against claims of monopolization and misappropriation of trade secrets brought by another law school operating in the same area; assisted in obtaining favorable ruling on motion to dismiss.
- Represented glass manufacturer in multiple federal antitrust class action lawsuits in which plaintiffs alleged a worldwide price-fixing cartel among flat glass manufacturers.
Securities and Shareholder Litigation Experience
- Represented leading hospitality management company and affiliated entities in litigation involving its response to alleged improper shareholder proposals.
- Represented major real estate investment trust in connection $16.8 billion takeover bid.
- Represented major UK bank and its affiliates in various actions brought by the National Credit Union Administration seeking rescission and damages relating to hundreds of millions of dollars in mortgage-backed securities.
- Represented individual officer of French bank in civil litigation involving allegations of securities fraud.
Insurance Recovery Litigation
- Represented a large private equity fund focused on mining in a $100 million ICDR arbitration for insurance coverage under a political risk insurance policy. The claim stemmed from the company’s inability to complete construction and ultimately operate a multi-billion dollar mine as a result of the eastern European government’s expropriatory acts.
- Representing hospital in California in state court litigation involving regulatory coverage for a False Claims Act investigation.
- Represented Delaware trust in federal court STOLI litigation involving multi-million dollar death benefit.
Internal Investigations Experience
- Monitored electric operations of major utility provider following widely-publicized catastrophic events involving multiple fatalities and significant property damage. Collaborated with experts in assessment of internal operations to evaluate effectiveness of regulatory and compliance programs. Drafted interim reports regarding monitorship progress and recommendations.
- Advised client in high-profile and highly publicized allegations of sexual misconduct and conducted investigation into claims of sexual harassment and inappropriate sexual conduct involving minors.
- Obtained review by California Supreme Court of issue concerning auto financing client’s duty to pay attorneys’ fees pursuant to certain federal and state statutes.
- Currently defending preliminary injunction win in front of the Second Circuit in high profile trademark and trade dress infringement matter.
- Successfully defended dozens of trial court dispositive rulings in favor of institutional clients, in both state and federal appellate court.
- Recently defended appeal of preliminary injunction order before the Ninth Circuit in high profile matter against a local municipality.
- Represented the developer of a major casino in connection with state court appellate proceedings and Chapter 11 cases initiated by a competing riverboat casino located in Sioux City.
- Obtained favorable rulings in serial litigation in New York appellate and trial courts in connection with defending business developer client’s ability to continue $425 million casino development, which was staunchly opposed and repeatedly challenged in court by local individuals and competing businesses.
- Worked on various putative class action and mass tort matters defending oil refinery client against environmental claims.
- Represented major aerospace company in toxic tort litigation brought by multiple plaintiffs claiming personal injury in the form of various cancers arising out of air, groundwater and soil contamination.
- Represents major copper mining giant on environmental issues including several CERCLA 113(f) contribution claims being litigated throughout the U.S.
- Represented a large private equity fund focused on mining in a $100 million ICDR arbitration for insurance coverage under a political risk insurance policy, which involved environmental mining issues.
- University of California Los Angeles School of LawJD2009
California State University, Los AngelesBA
American Bar Foundation, Fellow
Co-Chair, American Bar Association, Class Action and Derivatives Suits Committee
Member, Recruiting Committee, McGuireWoods LLP
Member, John M. Langston Bar Association
Board Member, UCLA Law Women LEAD
- Speaker, "Masterclass: How to Become an Expert in Your Field and the Go-To Lawyer Within Your Company," Renewable Energy in Virginia, Corporate Counsel Women of Color, September 30, 2020
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. Supreme Court
Named to “Women of Influence: Attorneys,” Los Angeles Business Journal, 2023
Finalist, “Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Awards: Community Impact,” Los Angeles Business Journal, 2023
Named to “Top 100 Lawyers,” Daily Journal, 2022
Named to “Leaders of Influence: Minority Attorneys,” Los Angeles Business Journal, 2022
Named to “Women of Influence,” L.A. Biz, 2021
Named to “Top Women Lawyers,” Daily Journal, 2021
Selected for Inclusion, Daily Journal, “Top Verdicts,” 2020
“Pro Bono Volunteer Service Award,” Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles, 2019
“40 Under 40 Nation’s Best Advocates,” National Bar Association, 2018
Alumni of the Year, Black Law Students Association, UCLA School of Law, 2018
“Most Influential Minority Attorneys,” Los Angeles Business Journal, 2018
“Rising Star,” Southern California Super Lawyers, 2015-2019
“Top 40 Under 40,” National Black Lawyers, 2017
“Top 50 Most Powerful & Influential Women in Law,” National Diversity Council, 2016
- Author, “Securing Coverage for Investors’ Political Risk Claims in 2022, Law360 Insurance Authority, January 27, 2022
- Author, In a Hard Global Insurance Market, Will Insurers Cover Political Risk Insurance Claims?, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, January 19, 2022