Alex focuses his practice on private equity and other financing transactions. He has experience representing Business Development Companies (BDCs), Small Business Investment Companies (SBICs), and other private debt funds in a broad range of transactions.
Alex’s experience includes representation of public and private companies, banks, finance companies, investment funds, and other investors in financing transactions, including syndicated and single-lender credit facilities, leveraged buyouts and various types of work-outs and restructurings.
- Representation of a publicly traded supplier of water and water dispensers in connection with $195 million credit facility used to finance acquisition of a publicly traded competitor for $263 million in cash and stock.
- Representation of SBIC fund in connection with restructuring of $31 million subordinated debt and equity investment in marketing and customer engagement company.
- Representation of a publicly traded business development company in connection with restructuring of a multi-tranche debt and equity investment in industrial fluid reprocessing company.
- Representation of a publicly traded business development company in connection with $4 million debtor-in-possession financing extended to industrial fluid reprocessing in Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceeding.
- Advised institutional mezzanine fund in connection with restructuring of $23 million debt and equity investment in luxury leather goods manufacturer and eventual Article 9 sale.
- Advised institutional mezzanine fund in connection with restructuring of $13 million debt and equity investment in packaging supply company and eventual Article 9 sale.
- Representation of institutional mezzanine funds in debt and equity financings, including first lien, second lien, unsecured mezzanine, and unitranche debt investments ranging from $2 million to $30 million, preferred, common and strip equity co-investments, and warrant and other equity kickers.
- Representation of a commercial bank in a wide range of financing transactions with venture capital backed borrowers ranging from $1 million to $20 million.
- Representation of a private equity-sponsored group of food companies in connection with financing the acquisition of a UK-based food group.
- Representation of a shipping and logistics company in connection with financing and refinancing the construction of a container/cargo vessel.
- Representation of a mutual fund complex in connection with its investments in syndicated credit facilities.
- Representation of one of the largest privately owned office suppliers in the U.S. with respect to its $137.5 million senior secured credit facilities.
- Representation of an affiliate of the Malaysian government and one of the largest producers of palm oil in the world, with respect to approximately $94 million in credit facilities established for its U.S. subsidiaries and approximately CAD 236 million in credit facilities established for its Canadian subsidiaries.
- Representation of a well-known, fast casual bakery and café franchisor with respect to its $112 million senior secured revolving credit facility.
University of Connecticut School of LawJD
Executive Editor, Connecticut Journal of International Law2005
- Williams CollegeBA2000
- Guest Panelist, "Control and Navigating Deals With McGuireWoods’ Anne Croteau and Alex Horn", Deal-by-Deal: An Independent Sponsor Podcast, March 7, 2022