In his more than 25 years at McGuireWoods, Craig has focused his practice on real estate finance transactions and matters.
He leads a group that represents participants in the real estate finance area, including representation of institution lenders on originating and servicing/administration of mortgage loans; sellers and buyers of mortgage loans, participations and other investments in mortgage assets; institutional investors in joint ventures related to commercial real estate; and servicers of mortgage loans. Related to his ongoing representation of institutional real estate investors, Craig advises clients on matters related to mezzanine loans, A/B notes, subordinated debt and other structured investment arrangements.
He routinely represents participants in sale-leaseback, bond lease financing and similar transactions. His experience includes representation of credit tenants, developers/equity participants and lenders, with a concentration on transactions involving national retailers as credit tenants. Portfolio acquisitions and sales, as well as transactions involving the purchase and sale of net-leased properties, including for the 1031 market, also make up a part of his practice in this area.
His practice also includes acting as counsel to both operating and financial partners in joint venture arrangements. He has written on a variety of lease finance and lease documentation issues, most recently as contributor to publications of the International Council of Shopping Centers, and he speaks at trade organization presentations, seminars and continuing legal education programs, most often on sale-leaseback issues.
In addition to his primary focus on real estate finance, Craig also represents various participants in the music industry. An outgrowth of his involvement in the music industry as an avocation, this area of his practice has led him into representation of recording artists on all major record labels, as well as music producers, personal management companies and recording studios.
- Representation of life insurance company as program counsel in mortgage lending platform. We act as outside counsel in closing a majority of the lender’s mortgage loans in the United States.
- Representation of financial institution in equity investment program, including acquisition, financing and disposition of office, retail, hospitality and industrial real estate assets.
- Representation of investment manager in various finance, acquisition, disposition and co-investment arrangements.
- Representation of Fortune 100 retailer in sale leaseback program. We represented the company, one of the pioneers in sale leaseback in credit tenant lease transactions, in all of its sale leasebacks; including hundreds of transactions in more than $1 billion in transaction value.
- Representation of Fortune 500 company in sale leaseback program. Representation included hundreds of millions of dollars in transaction value as well as advice and structuring relating to FIN46 and related accounting issues.
- Representation of federal agency in connection with disposition of debt assets secured real estate. Representation included structure of special investment vehicles for private investment.
- Representation of investor group on a sale leaseback “unwind” transaction. Representation included formulation strategy for acquisition of debentures on open market, unwind with credit tenant, as well as bridge and permanent financing.
- Representation of U.S.-based investment group in acquisition and development of multiple projects in several countries within Central America.
- Representation of U.S.-based “green” engineering firm in connection with nationwide construction/refurb program for Honduran airports.
- Representation of multiplatinum, Grammy-winning recording artists in connection with recording merchandise, affiliation and sponsorship arrangements.
Emory University School of LawJD
with Distinction, Managing Editor, Law Review1986
The University of Tennessee, KnoxvilleBA
with High Honors1983
Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law, Woodward/White, Inc., 2006-2024
Selected for inclusion in “Legal 500 United States,” Real Estate Finance, 2023
Named a “Leader in the Field,” Real Estate, Virginia, Chambers USA, 2008-2009
AV Rating, Martindale Hubbell
- Co-author, "Single Family Residential Portfolio Financing: The Pixilation of Commercial Real Estate", CRE Finance World, Winter 2015
- Author, "Dodd-Frank ‘Risk Retention’ Rule Will Be Felt Industry-Wide", New York Law Journal, June 20, 2011
- Author, June NAIC Conference Call to Cover Risk-Based Capital Proposals, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 7, 2010
- New York
- Speaker, "The Art of the Deal: Finance and Structuring", The Association of University Research Parks 2019 International Conference, November 4 – 7, 2019