Chip’s practice focuses on negotiating and structuring health care transactions and advising clients on the applicability of various federal and state health care laws and regulations.
In addition to transactional work, Chip regularly counsels clients on the constantly changing laws and regulations governing payment from Medicare, Medicaid, TRICARE and commercial payers. His projects frequently involve a wide range of health care providers, including hospitals, nursing homes, assisted living facilities, home health agencies, ambulatory surgery centers, diagnostic imaging centers, physician group practices and durable medical equipment suppliers.
Before entering private practice, Chip was a Captain in the United States Marine Corps. While on active duty, he deployed to Ramadi, Iraq, in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom, where he earned a Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal with combat “V”.
“Clients need concise, actionable guidance in today’s increasingly fast-paced market. I leverage my industry experience to develop pragmatic and creative solutions.”
- Advised leading, private equity backed gastroenterology services provider on its acquisition of various ambulatory surgery centers.
- Advised private equity backed durable medical equipment supplier on health care regulatory risk arising from add-on transactions.
- Advised national nursing home provider on complex, multi-facility acquisitions and associated regulatory requirements.
- Advised leading, private equity-backed management services organization in establishing new platform practices and closing add-on transactions in the orthopedic sector.
- Advised ophthalmology provider in multi-million dollar sale of practice and affiliated ambulatory surgery center.
- Advised dental and orthodontic providers in practice sales to private equity-backed management services organizations.
- University of Richmond School of LawJD2014
- Virginia Military InstituteBAEconomics and Business2003
Member, The Virginia Bar Association
Member, American Health Lawyers Association
Member, University of Richmond Law School Alumni Board
- Author, Senior Living Alert: Top Five Board Considerations Before Acquiring or Disposing of a Senior Living Facility, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 27, 2023
Named a ‘Legal Elite for Health Law,’ Virginia Business, 2023
Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, Health Care Law, 2023, 2024