Born in Toronto; educated in Canada, the United States and Belgium; and licensed in New York and Chicago, Katie brings a unique and creative perspective to solving her clients’ labor and employment needs.
Katie counsels and represents a variety of businesses, from Fortune 500 companies to startups, in a wide array of industries. Employers seek Katie out when looking to mitigate against or litigate discrimination, harassment, retaliation, biometrics and other privacy matters, employment acquisition matters, or wage and hour, and restrictive covenant issues. Katie has experience with state and federal agencies and courts across the country, including the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, and she leverages this experience to generate results for her clients.
In both 2020 and 2021, Katie was named as one of the Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in the Labor and Employment practice area.
In her pro bono work, Katie focuses on immigration and torture cases. She represented a client fleeing sexual orientation-related persecution in their native country and assisted them in successfully obtaining asylum and starting their career as a healthcare worker in the United States. In recognition of her commitment to pro bono work, Katie received McGuireWoods’ pro bono award in 2020.
Katie received her LL.M. with highest honors from the University of Kent at Brussels and her J.D. magna cum laude from Loyola University Chicago School of Law, where she was Editor-in-Chief of the International Law Review and a Vis Commercial Arbitration Moot Court Fellow. During law school, Katie served as a judicial extern for the Honorable Ann C. Williams of the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
- Successfully secured interlocutory appeal of class certification decision in a discrimination and harassment case, defeating a motion to dismiss the appeal and later winning the appeal, which reduced the potential recovery to a quarter of the original class size.
- Successfully moved to compel arbitration of class and collective wage and hour claims on behalf of international financial services firm that was a third-party beneficiary to an employer’s arbitration agreement.
- Defeated motion to dismiss brought by a primary competitor related to restricted covenant claim and obtained favorable settlement on behalf of Fortune 500 client as a result of the same.
- Obtained dismissal of, or summary judgment on, numerous employees’ discrimination, harassment and/or retaliation claims against their former and alleged employers.
- Defeated motion for temporary restraining order related to COVID-19 vaccination mandate for healthcare client in the Central District of Illinois.
- Defeated motion to quash a critical subpoena for plaintiff’s mental health records in California state court, which led to a favorable settlement for Fortune 500 client.
- Vetted the employment practices of a wide array of businesses operating in a variety of states for purposes of client acquisitions.
- Drafted and counseled numerous clients on the executive and physician employment agreements for employees nationwide.
- Assisted international clients to establish U.S. presence and employment practices.
- Counseled numerous clients on the on-going COVID-19 legal landscape, including providing weekly national updates and drafting summary guidance related to Cal-OSHA’s Emergency Temporary Standard.
- Advised Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce and Illinois Legislature on proposed legislative amendments to Illinois’ Biometric Information Privacy Act statute.
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York
Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, Labor and Employment Law – Management, 2021-2024
- Author, What Employers Should Know About Chicago’s New Paid Leave and Paid Sick and Safe Leave Ordinance, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, November 21, 2023
- Author, New York City Safe and Sick Time Act Regulations Take Effect, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 24, 2023
- Author, Illinois Amends Day and Temporary Labor Services Act, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, August 18, 2023
- Author, Illinois and Hawaii Require Employers to Disclose Pay Scales in Job Postings, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, August 16, 2023
- Author, Illinois Passes Paid Leave for ‘Any Reason’, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 14, 2023
- Author, Every Scan Counts: Illinois Supreme Court Decides Claim Accrual Under BIPA, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 21, 2023
- Author, Five Years It Is — Illinois Supreme Court Decides BIPA Statute of Limitations, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 7, 2023
- Author, Speak Out Act Bars Enforcement of Nondisclosure, Nondisparagement Clauses for Sexual Harassment, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, December 16, 2022
- Author, Case Law Developments for Biometric Information Privacy Act Damages, Insurance Recovery Claims, Pro Policyholder, August 4, 2022
- Author, New York Drastically Expands Employee Whistleblower Protections, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 2, 2022
- Author, Illinois Courts Begin Clarifying the Biometric Information Privacy Act, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, September 30, 2021
- Author, Employers Hearing Footsteps in the Big Apple? The Rise of New York Biometrics Laws, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 22, 2021
- Author, Proceeding With Biometric Caution: Illinois Courts to Decide Critical BIPA Issues, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 16, 2021
- Author, New York Adopts Statewide Sick and Safe Leave Law, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 8, 2020
- Author, Biometric Barriers in Illinois: Developments With the Biometric Information Privacy Act, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 19, 2017
Loyola University Chicago School of LawJD
magna cum laude, Dean’s List, Editor-in-Chief, Loyola University Chicago International Law Review2013
Brussels School of International Studies - University of KentLLMInternational Law with International Relations
with Distinction, Highest Honors2008
Wilfrid Laurier UniversityBAPsychology, minor in Philosophy
Board Member, The Will Hicks Foundation, 2010–Present
- Speaker, Modern-Compliance-Program, June 20, 2018