Cecil is the former office managing partner of the firm’s Baltimore office. His transactional practice focuses on energy transactions and regulation, debt finance, with a focus on asset-based lending and receivables finance, business combinations, and securities law, in addition to a wide range of other legal services including project development, construction contracting, and product and software licensing and distribution.
His industry focus includes energy, financial services and life sciences. Local and international companies, from emerging growth to Fortune 500, regularly rely on his advice and counsel.
Financing, Energy Transactions and Project Development
- Assisted a private-equity backed commodity trading and trade finance firm in its $25 million trade financing and offtake arrangement with a large U.S. coal producer.
- Represented a specialty financing company in its financing of an Alaskan oil and natural gas producer backed by interests in mineral rights and $90 million of Alaskan oil and natural gas tax credits.
- Represented a large U.S. private equity fund in its financing of a Gulf coast oil and natural gas producer backed by its interest in mineral rights and leases, vessels and other specialized collateral.
- Represented a large U.S. power generator and trading firm in its acquisition of an offtake agreement with a 300 MW windfarm and 4 related downstream power supply agreements, including a total return swap arrangement.
- Represented a large U.S. power generator in a $1 billion power purchase agreement with a Northeastern U.S. utility.
- Representation of the issuer in a $390 million leveraged lease financing of a 440MW lignite-fired power plant.
- Representation of the developer in the financing and development of several landfill gas-to energy projects.
- Representation of a solar developer in the development of two Maryland solar facilities.
- Representation of the contractor in negotiating an approximately $180 million engineering, procurement and construction contract for power plant environmental control systems.
- Representation of Intralytix, Inc., a leader in bacteriophage technology, in connection with a $17.5 million equity investment by Lesaffre, a France-based manufacturer and marketer of innovative solutions for biotechnology.
- Representation of investors in more than 30 Community Reinvestment Act investments throughout the United States.
- Representation of the first biodiesel plant to receive its air permit to construct in the State of Maryland in a $6 million mixed debt and equity financing structured as a private placement.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Representation of a private equity fund in the $1 billion acquisition of Textron’s fluid and power division.
- Representation of the seller in the auction and sale of 10 district energy heating and cooling companies in six states, representing 238 MW of combined electricity generating 10 million pounds of steam and 72,800 tons of chilled water, with a purchase price in excess of $400 million.
- Representation of the sellers of a national immunoglobulin home infusion company to one of the world’s largest pharmaceutical services companies in a stock sale.
- Representation of an educational textbook design and production company in the sale of substantially all of its assets.
- Representation of a private equity fund in a $40,000,000 investment in Series E Preferred Shares issued to finance the acquisition of a municipal waste landfill.
- Representation of a publicly traded contract research organization in its acquisition by reverse triangular merger of a regulatory/clinical consulting firm.
- Representation of a publicly traded petroleum refiner and marketer in a going-private transaction.
- Representation of a publicly traded voice-over-Internet protocol (VOIP) telecommunications company in its acquisition of a New York-based competitive local exchange carrier targeting niche immigrant markets.
- Representation of a U.K. manufacturer of scholastic products in the divestiture of its U.S. business.
- Representation of a commercial printer in a purchase transaction priced at $11 million plus an EBITDA-based earnout.
- Representation of a building materials company in its acquisition of a fireplace products company.
- Representation of a large materials handling equipment manufacturer in its acquisition of all of the assets of a manufacturer of environmental control equipment out of bankruptcy.
University of PennsylvaniaJD
Editor, University of Pennsylvania Journal of International Economic Law1996
The College of William & MaryBA
Director, Young Audiences of Maryland
Director, Maryland Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts
Executive Leadership Team, American Heart Association
- Speaker, Exelon and McGuireWoods Co-Host LCLD Fellows Event, June 14, 2019
Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Corporate Law, 2019-2024; Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2023, 2024, Woodward/White, Inc.
Selected for inclusion in America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Corporate/M&A, Maryland, Chambers USA, 2015-2019, 2022, 2023
Selected for inclusion as a “Leading Lawyer,” Energy Transactions: Conventional Power, Maryland, Legal 500 US, 2018
Selected as the winner of the Client Choice award, Lexology and the International Law Office, 2016
- Author, A Guide to SEC’s Regulation A+, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, December 14, 2015
- Author, Advertised Private Placements Under Rule 506(c): Current Status, Public Comment on Proposed Investor Protections, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, November 12, 2014
- Author, Will Regulation A+ Make the Grade? Explanation of Comments Received by the SEC, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 21, 2014
- Author, "The Future of Energy", Executive Counsel Magazine, November 11, 2008