Eric represents and counsels companies and individuals facing investigations by federal, state, and regulatory authorities. He conducts sensitive internal investigations and represents clients during investigations by the Department of Justice, SEC, and OCC. As part of his practice, he also represents clients in connection with grand jury subpoenas.
He is a member of the firm’s Government Investigations & White Collar Litigation Department, which was recognized by Law360 as a Practice Group of the Year.
Before joining the firm, Eric spent two years as a federal law clerk to U.S. District Judge Max O. Cogburn, Jr. of the Western District of North Carolina.
- Representation of a sitting congressman in connection with an investigation by the Department of Justice and the House Ethics Committee, resulting in a declination of prosecution.
- Representation of a federal court-appointed receiver of an $850 million international Ponzi and pyramid scheme in successful recovery actions against individuals and entities in possession of company assets.
- Defended a major financial institution in multiyear enforcement actions by the DOJ, SEC, and multiple state attorneys general.
- Representation of financial institutions and financial advisers in responding to grand jury subpoenas and interviews with prosecutors.
- Pro bono defense of a client charged with armed robbery, resulting in complete declination of prosecution.
- Representation of a major wireless carrier in defending against a CFPB enforcement action.
- Representation of a major health care company in an internal investigation regarding alleged corporate reimbursements.
- Representation of multiple employees of major financial institution in connection with a CFPB investigation into potential violations of RESPA.
- North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina
- Author, 2021 Brought SEC Focus on Crypto Exchanges and Lending Platforms, Consumer FinSights, January 10, 2022
- Author, Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency Issues Initial Guidance on Essential Workers, Sectors, Subject to Inquiry, March 23, 2020
- Author, CFPB’s Cordray Issues Warning to Vendors, Subject to Inquiry, November 4, 2015
- Author, Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Takes Action Against Payment Processing Company and Mortgage Servicer, Subject to Inquiry, August 24, 2015
- Author, CFPB Releases Study on Use of Arbitration Clauses in Consumer Contracts, Subject to Inquiry, March 20, 2015
- Author, CFPB Reaches Settlement Agreement with Debt Relief Company and Law Firm, Subject to Inquiry, December 12, 2014
The University of North Carolina School of LawJD
with Honors, Staff Member, North Carolina Journal of International Law and Commercial Regulation2012
The University of North Carolina at Chapel HillBAAmerican Studies and Political Science
Dean’s List, Phi Beta Kappa2006
The rules of professional conduct in some jurisdictions require disclosure of selection methodology for certain public accolades and recognitions. Click here to view available selection methodologies.
Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, Criminal Defense: White Collar, 2023, 2024
Selected for inclusion into the North Carolina Pro Bono Honor Society, 2020
- Hon. Max O. Cogburn, U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of North Carolina, 2012-2014