Alec is an award-winning litigator and trial lawyer whose practice is focused on complex commercial litigation and healthcare litigation. Alec represents and advises clients throughout the country in a variety of matters involving the False Claims Act, payor-provider disputes, restrictive covenants, shareholder and partnership disputes, and contract disputes.
Alec’s clients include health systems, hospitals, private equity firms, physician practices, management service organizations, and ambulatory surgery centers. Alec’s representation stems across all components of litigation and pre-litigation activities, and he regularly represents clients in state and federal court.
Alec also maintains a robust pro bono practice, including representing a client in a post-conviction death penalty appeal in Alabama.
Following law school, Alec served for four years on active duty in the United States Marine Corps. Alec’s trial advocacy as a defense counsel—including four acquittals across ten trials—led to his selection for the Marine Corps Defense Counsel of the Year award.
After the military, Alec served for more than seven years as a career law clerk for the Honorable Bruce H. Hendricks of the U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina.
- University of Virginia School of LawJD2011
- Wheaton CollegeBAPhilsophy2004
Selected “Defense Counsel of the Year,” Marine Corps Defense Services Organization, Eastern Region, 2014
- Hon. Bruce H. Hendricks, U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina, 2015-2023
- Not Admitted in Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
- Author, Regional Hospital System and Two Physicians Pay More Than $69 Million to Settle False Claims Act, Involving Allegations of Improper Financial Relationships With Referring Physicians, The FCA Insider, July 18, 2023
- Author, Illinois Takes Expansive View of Personal Jurisdiction Over Component Parts Manufacturer, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, May 15, 2023