David represents and counsels clients in a wide variety of employment matters. His practice is focused on defending employers in wage and hour class, collective, and representative actions under the California Labor Code Private Attorneys General Act (PAGA), through and including trial. David has spearheaded successful efforts to defeat class certification in highly-contested actions involving claims for unpaid overtime, meal and rest period violations, failure to reimburse business-related expenses, inaccurate wage statements, and other purported violations. In addition, David has extensive experience representing companies and managers in actions involving claims of harassment, discrimination, retaliation, unfair competition, and whistleblowing claims in federal and state court.
David routinely counsels employers and management in all aspects of employment law, including separations, workplace investigations, sexual harassment training, workplace policies, and a particular concentration on wage and hour audits and compliance issues across a variety of industries, most significantly in the retail, hospitality, health and science, technology, and financial services sectors. His strategic guidance and assistance on complex wage and hour issues, such as off-the-clock, wage statement, paid sick leave, independent contractor, suitable seating, and PAGA claims has resulted in successful results for clients, including defeat of class certification, summary judgment on a class basis, and complete defense verdicts at trial, as well as favorable settlements and pre-litigation resolutions. Drawing on his experience as a litigator, David works closely with clients to manage litigation risk through the development of effective, compliant workplace policies that align with the operational needs and strategic goals of their business.
David’s trial experience includes bench and jury trials resulting in complete defense judgments in a statewide wage and hour class action, a multimillion-dollar corporate raiding lawsuit, and single plaintiff wrongful termination and unpaid wages actions. David has represented employers in both state and federal courts, private arbitration, and agency proceedings before the U.S. Department of Labor, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, California Labor Commissioner, California Department of Fair Employment and Housing, Cal-OSHA, and the California Workers’ Compensation Appeals Board.
- Obtained complete defense judgment in bench trial of California-wide class of automotive technicians on claims challenging legality of their employer’s compensation program.
- Successfully defeated class certification of expense reimbursement claim for national warehouse club grocer.
- Successfully opposed class certification in California putative wage and hour class action on behalf of distribution center workers of national retailer. Following aggressive precertification litigation, the plaintiff sought class certification on only three of the numerous claims advanced in the complaint. The Court denied class certification on all three claims.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissing PAGA claims following denial of class certification for electronics retailer.
- Obtained denial of class certification in representation of global provider of kitchenware, tableware, and home décor with respect to unpaid overtime and break violation claims on behalf of putative class of warehouse workers.
- Obtained voluntary precertification dismissal of misclassification class claims against developer and produce or semiconductor devices and components, following successful Pick Up Stix settlement campaign.
- Successful dismissal of wage and hour state agency audit against computer hardware manufacturer.
- Successful defense of criminal negligence investigation in connection with workplace fatality incident.
- Defended and obtained favorable settlements in numerous administrative wage claims before the California Labor Commissioner.
- The George Washington University Law SchoolJD2010
- Washington University in St. LouisBSOlin Business School, Business Administration2007
Member, Labor & Employment Section, California State Bar
Member, Orange County Bar Association
Member, Mexican American Bar Association
- Author, Uber’s Challenge to Non-Individual PAGA Standing Crashes at the California Supreme Court, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 18, 2023
- Author, California Protects Employees Who Use Recreational Cannabis and Limits Drug Tests, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 5, 2023
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2018-2020
- Panelist, 2024 California Employment Law Update, November 29, 2023