In the most recent installment of the McGuireWoods Fiduciary Advisory Services annual multipart series on recent fiduciary cases, developments in state law impacting fiduciaries and their advisors are examined through the following recent Virginia cases:
- Keith v. Lulofs, 2012 Va. LEXIS 82 (Va. Apr. 20, 2012)
Mirror image nature of wills not sufficient to establish irrevocable reciprocal wills.
- Russell Realty Assocs. v. Russell, 2012 Va. LEXIS 79 (Va. Apr. 20, 2012)
Partnership judicially dissolved due to frustration of economic purpose from disagreement among partners.
- Weedon v. Weedon, 283 Va. 241 (Va. Jan. 13, 2012)
Great weight given to testimony of drafting attorney and attesting witnesses sufficient to establish validity of deathbed will.
- Maretta v. Hillman, 283 Va. 34 (January 13, 2012)
Virginia statute on revocation of benefits incident to divorce is preempted by federal law for federal insurance policies.
- Bell v. Casper, 282 Va. 203 (2011)
Slayer statute in effect on date of death, not date of murder conviction, applies to estate.
- Ott v. Monroe, 282 Va. 403 (2011)
Residuary bequest does not transfer membership interest in LLC.
- Derringer v. Emerson, 435 Fed. Appx. 4 (D.C. Cir. 2011)
Purported suit for guidance violates no contest clause.
- Kummer v. Donak, 282 Va. 301 (2011)
Adult adoption of parent bars intestate succession of children from parent’s biological sister.
- Schafer v. Astrue, 641 F.3d 49 (4th Cir. N.C. 2011)
Child born by reproductive technology more than 10 months after father’s death not entitled to Social Security survivor benefits.
- Smack v. Smack, 81 Va. Cir. 22 (Va. Cir. 2010)
Trustee entitled to compensation notwithstanding negligent breaches of duty.
- Browder-Martin v. Meneses, 81 Va. Cir. 199 (Va. Cir. 2010)
Impermissible delegation of performance of personal services waives right to sue for breach of a contract to make a will.
- Gunter v. Martin, 281 Va. 642 (Va. 2011)
Probate action does not bar by res judicata a claim to title to Virginia real property that is not part of the probate estate.
- Stevens v. Stevens, 59 Va. App. 274 (Va. Ct. App. Dec. 13, 2011)
Property purchased from a trust is marital property subject to division upon divorce.
- Riverside Healthcare Ass’n v. Forbes, 281 Va. 522 (2011)
Trust terms supersede the Uniform Principal and Income Act on allocation of eminent domain proceeds.
- Salazar v. US Bank NA, 82 Va. Cir. 344 (Va. Cir. Ct. 2011)
Tort action not permitted for purely contractual claims.
- Sellman v. FloranceGordonBrown, P.C., 82 Va. Cir. 59 (Va. Cir. Ct. 2010)
Lack of privity defeats claim against counsel for Ponzi schemer.
- Nationstar Mortg., L.L.C. v. Artis, 82 Va. Cir. 220 (Va. Cir. Ct. 2011)
Purchase of property from heirs within one year of death not protected from claims of decedent’s creditors.
Click here for case details.