Private Wealth Services
McGuireWoods’ private wealth services team represents five of the wealthiest families in America. Our clients also include international entertainers, professional athletes, banks and other businesses, executors and trustees, and nonprofit organizations. That depth and breadth of experience has led to repeated nationwide recognition in Chambers’ High Net Worth Guide as a top firm for private wealth law, with 9 of the firm’s lawyers singled out for individual honors.
Our presence in strategic domestic and international markets and dedication to shaping the wealth services landscape allow us to serve clients efficiently, effectively and globally. The PWS team:
- tailors estate plans to the needs of family members across generations;
- develops creative, tax-efficient wealth transfer techniques as laws change;
- advises on succession issues in family businesses;
- drafts pre-nuptial and post-nuptial agreements and assists with marital dissolutions;
- devises onshore and offshore asset-protection strategies;
- addresses cross-border tax issues;
- minimizes taxes for corporate executives;
- creates charitable foundations; and
- helps clients establish and operate family offices and private trust companies.
Our lawyers contribute to the formation of U.S. tax policy by developing legislation and regulations. We serve local and national needs involving effective planning, advice to individual and corporate fiduciaries, aggressive prosecution of tax and fiduciary controversies, and resolution of policy matters at all levels. We represent clients in groundbreaking tax and fiduciary rulings and our global private client team provides families, family offices and the financial institutions that serve these groups access to a broad spectrum of legal services tailored to their unique needs.
McGuireWoods’ PWS partners are sought-after thought leaders and frequently serve in leadership roles for pre-eminent organizations, such as the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC) and the American Bar Association’s Section of Taxation.
“This firm is much admired for the depth and breadth of its private client practice. Clients truly appreciate the firm’s particular attention to client service as well as the extensive knowledge offered by its superb team.”Chambers’ High Net Worth Guide