The European Commission has adopted a proposal to prevent the proceeds from certain mined minerals from fueling armed conflict, by obliging EU companies to source these minerals responsibly.
This initiative raises a number of concerns for businesses: Is business increasingly being made to account for “bad governance” in non-EU countries? What are the costs of non-compliance? What does this mean for businesses in Europe?
- Hubert André-Dumont, Partner, McGuireWoods LLP
- Elena Peresso, Member of Cabinet De Gucht, Commissioner for Trade
- Signe Ratso, Director Trade Strategy and Analysis, Market Access, DG Trade
- Catherine Bearder, Member of the European Parliament (ALDE)
- Frederik Verhasselt, Corporate Security Officer, Umicore
- Jenny Sandahl, Environmental Portfolio Manager, Ericsson
- Yves Melin, Partner, McGuireWoods LLP