Sara has more than a decade of experience in education policy and government affairs, starting as a K-12 public school teacher. She thrives on helping clients achieve complex and challenging goals and has become a respected and trusted voice for education policy issues in Tallahassee.
Sara joined McGuireWoods Consulting in 2018 after six years of leading government affairs for nonprofits in Florida. Prior to MWC, Sara led external and legislative affairs for Step Up For Students, the largest K-12 scholarship funding organization in the nation. Before that, she was the Florida Legislative Affairs Director for the Foundation for Excellence in Education. In addition to education, Sara has experience in the areas of child welfare, criminal justice, healthcare, insurance, gaming, financial services, and more.
In 2011, while still in the classroom, Sara was nominated for Orange County Public Schools’ Teacher of the Year award. By 2014, Sara was named one of “30 Under 30 Rising Stars” by Florida Politics, the state’s predominant political news site.
Sara received her bachelor’s degree in English Education from the University of North Florida in 2007 and her master’s degree in Education Policy and Evaluation from Florida State University in 2014.
Sara is a member of Leadership Florida (Connect Class VI), the American Enterprise Institute’s State Leadership Network, and founder of Red Dog Blue Dog, an annual celebrity bartender charity event that provides an opportunity for Republicans and Democrats to compete for a cause. In her spare time, she volunteers as a guardian ad litem in Florida’s Second Judicial Circuit and fosters dogs through a local animal rescue organization. Sara lives in Tallahassee with her daughter.
McGuireWoods Consulting LLC (“MWC”) is a wholly owned subsidiary of the McGuireWoods LLP law firm. From time to time, various McGuireWoods lawyers provide non-legal services to MWC clients, but MWC cannot provide legal services or advice. Therefore, any work MWC performs for a client does not give rise to an attorney-client relationship or privilege. Should you require legal services from McGuireWoods, as well as consulting services from MWC, you must engage the law firm separately.
- Represented one of the nation’s largest and most influential education advocacy organizations in the state of Florida, on issues such as standards and assessments, school accountability, teacher quality, educational choice, early literacy, competency-based learning, and more.
- Helped pass and implement the largest and most flexible education savings account in the nation, and expand it four years in a row.
- Lead efforts to dramatically reform the individualized education plan (IEP) process in Florida as it pertains to decisions on standards and graduation, resulting in the most parent-friendly law in the nation at the time.
- Florida State UniversityMS2014
- University of North FloridaBA2007
Named, “30 Under 30 Rising Stars” in Florida Politics by Florida Politics, 2014
Nominated, Orange County Public Schools 2012 Teacher of the Year, 2011
- Author, "Presentation at the 2022 Florida Children & Families Summit: Legislative Advocacy 101", September 2022
- Author, "Sara Clements Presented with Atkinson-Payne Pro Bono Award", July 2022
- Author, "Presentation to the Florida Bar Education Committee: Summary of PreK-12 Legislation in 2022 Session", June 2022
- Author, "Sara S. Clements: Florida gets one of the good ones with Ed. Commissioner Manny Diaz", May 2022
- Author, "Florida Special Session Part 2: Property Insurance, Special Districts, and Data Privacy", April 2022
- Author, "Sara Clements Hosts PreK-12 and Higher Ed Legislative Update Webinars", April 2022
- Author, "Florida Special Session Update: Lawmakers Returning to Redraw Congressional Map", April 2022
- Author, Will Florida Finally Reach a Casino, Sports Betting Deal?, McGuireWoods Consulting LLC, April 28, 2021
- Author, Update on Major Consumer Data Privacy Legislation in Florida Legislature, McGuireWoods Consulting LLC, April 27, 2021
- Author, "School choice proposals in Florida Legislature", Florida Politics, April 19, 2021
- Author, Florida Governor Issues Executive Order Prohibiting COVID-19 Vaccine Passports, McGuireWoods Consulting LLC, April 2, 2021
- Author, Florida House Moving on Major Consumer Data Privacy Legislation, McGuireWoods Consulting LLC, February 24, 2021
- Author, Consumer Privacy Legislation Expected in Florida Legislature, McGuireWoods Consulting LLC, January 6, 2021
- Author, "K-12 Education in Uncertain Times – Lessons Learned from Florida", June 2020
- Author, "How Florida is addressing reading deficiencies through parent choice", Florida Politics, February 23, 2020
- Author, "States Across the Nation Address School Safety", December 10, 2019
- Author, States Across the Nation Address School Safety, McGuireWoods Consulting LLC, December 10, 2019
- Author, Addressing the Teacher Shortage Problem, McGuireWoods Consulting LLC, October 31, 2019
- Author, "Addressing the Teacher Shortage Problem", October 31, 2019
- Author, "Florida Education Policy Update", August 19, 2019
- Author, "7 things insider expects from Florida education commissioner Richard Corcoran", Tampa Bay Times, January 18, 2019
- Author, "Republicans Maintain Stronghold in the Sunshine State", November 16, 2018
Volunteer, Guardian ad Litem Program-Second Judicial Circuit
Alumni, Connect Florida Class VI, part of the Leadership Florida network
Member, American Enterprise Institute (AEI) State Leadership Network
Member, James Madison Institute Board of Advisors, Tallahassee
Founder and Chair, Annual Red Dog Blue Dog Celebrity Bartender Benefit
Co-founder, Lean In Tallahassee
Volunteer, Last Hope Rescue
- Moderator, Florida Election Recap, November 5, 2020