With a rare combination of big firm resources and local knowledge, McGuireWoods’ education team of nearly 100 lawyers and consultants makes the grade with unmatched skills to assist clients, including public and private K-12 schools, school divisions, charter schools, school boards, school officials and coaches, among others. We understand the litigation, legislative and regulatory environment and provide focused, client-specific solutions.
K-12 schools confront daunting issues involving parental concerns, contract rights, communications and custody fights that impact waivers, enrollment contracts and discipline. Laws specific to education clients also present challenges, such as grievance requirements for teachers in public schools, and background check requirements and mandatory reporting obligations for teachers in private schools. In addition, walking the line between politics and education is not easy for schools, as issues become increasingly polarized.
McGuireWoods’ advanced experience in schools, government agencies and private practice means we identify and address K-12 problems before they arise. The education team includes three former secretaries of education and former K-12 educators. Team members often serve as outside general counsel to K-12 clients.
The law firm’s nationwide, multidisciplinary team of attorneys works with public affairs affiliate McGuireWoods Consulting to provide 360-degree insight on education law changes that impact K-12 clients, who struggle to meet goals with dwindling resources. The team:
- Won summary judgment in favor of charter schools on issues of first impression concerning funding.
- Conducted an investigation of sexual misconduct allegations on behalf of a private boarding school.
- Served as bond and borrower’s counsel in connection with the issuance of $30 million in fixed and variable rate tax-exempt debt to finance campus improvements at a private school.
- Successfully defended a school division in a U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights investigation.
- Negotiated head of school employment and separation contracts on behalf of private schools.
- Represented a state educational agency in connection with a federal class action involving K-12 students.
The team’s areas of focus include:
- Charter Schools
- Civil Rights Compliance, Investigations and Litigation
- Corporate Governance
- Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
- Endowment Management
- Intellectual Property
- Labor and Employment
- Media and Government Relations
- Parent Relations
- Public Finance/Project Finance
- Real Estate and Construction
- Risk Management
- School Choice
- Student Demonstrations and Free Speech
- Student Housing and Travel
- Student Issues and Conduct
- Tax and Nonprofit
With a rare combination of big firm resources and local knowledge, McGuireWoods’ education team of nearly 100 lawyers and consultants makes the grade with unmatched skills to assist K-12 education clients.