Toby is a member of the firm’s Financial Services & Securities Enforcement Department and its Securities Enforcement and Litigation practice group. He represents corporations and individuals in criminal, civil, and regulatory matters, he conducts internal investigations, and he advises on compliance matters.
Before joining McGuireWoods, Toby was a trial attorney in the CFTC’s Division of Enforcement, where he led investigations and prosecuted civil enforcement actions, often working in parallel with the DOJ, the SEC, state law enforcement agencies, and self-regulatory organizations. His experience includes market manipulation, Ponzi schemes, and other frauds; wash trading, reporting, and registration violations; and other issues.
Before joining the CFTC, Toby was an associate at a prominent international law firm where, among other things, he was a member of the trial team that defended one of the hedge fund defendants in United States v. Blaszczak.
- Represented a hedge-fund analyst tried criminally with insider trading in United States v. Blaszczak.
- Represented a global investment bank in securities fraud investigations by the SEC, the DOJ, and SIGTARP into primary and secondary market trading of mortgage-backed securities and related derivatives.
- Represented a global investment bank in connection with FCPA investigations by the SEC and the DOJ into its hiring practices and use of business development consultants.
- Represented a global defense and communications company in an internal FCPA investigation into its business practices in Hong Kong and China. Self-reported to the DOJ and received a declination.
- Represented an equities sales executive in SEC and NYAG securities fraud investigations related to the marketing of his firm’s alternative trading systems.
- Represented a securities lending executive in an SEC securities fraud investigation related to alleged abuses involving pre-released ADRs.
- Advised various foreign central banks and sovereign wealth funds on issues related to the Foreign Sovereign Immunity Act.
- Represented a global automotive parts manufacturer in an antitrust class action.
- Pro Bono: Represented an individual charged with participating in an alleged narcotics distribution conspiracy (with the Federal Defenders of New York).
- Pro Bono: Represented an individual charged with firearms-related offenses (with the Federal Defenders of New York).
- Pro Bono: Successfully obtained Special Immigrant Juvenile (SIJ) status for a pre-adolescent boy who emigrated to the United States from El Salvador with a younger relative.
Brooklyn Law SchoolJD
cum laude, Member, Journal of Law & Policy2013
- Vassar CollegeAB2006
- Author, "Double Whammy: How the Landscape of Insider Trading Has Been Altered by the Second Circuit’s Martoma Decision and Prosecutors’ Creative Tactics Since Newman," PLI Current: White Collar Practice Journal, November 2018
- Not Admitted in the District of Columbia
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan