Michael has served as bond, underwriter’s, bank, borrower’s, issuer’s or trustee’s counsel on dozens of tax-exempt bond financings in Virginia, the District of Columbia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, Illinois, Florida, Mississippi, Nevada, Wisconsin and Idaho.
He has extensive experience in all aspects of tax-exempt financings for small manufacturing companies; private, nonprofit elementary and secondary schools; nonprofit association headquarters; college and university student housing facilities; hospitals and healthcare facilities; multifamily affordable housing projects (including low-income housing tax credits); solid waste disposal facilities; port facilities; water and waste authorities; community development authorities and other land-based special taxing districts; road and rail transportation projects; and various other borrowers, governmental issuers and their projects.
He is the co-author (with William J. Strickland) of “Financing Virginia’s Local Governments” in the Virginia Local Government Attorneys’ Handbook. A former trial lawyer, Michael has brought numerous judicial proceedings to establish the validity of municipal bonds.
He was a Parkinson scholar at Duke University School of Law and a member of Omicron Delta Kappa at the College of William & Mary.
Duke University School of LawJD
Member, Duke Environmental Law & Policy Forum, Member, Duke Journal of Gender Law & Policy1994
The College of William & MaryAB
summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa1991
Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Banking and Finance Law, 2018-2024; Public Finance Law, 2024; Woodward/White, Inc.
Named to “Legal Elite,” Legal Services/Pro Bono, Virginia Business, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Author, Treasury Approves New Municipal Liquidity Facility to Aid States, Counties and Cities, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 10, 2020
- Author, IRS Clarifies Acceptable Tenant Preferences for Affordable Multifamily Housing Bonds, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 8, 2019
- Author, Dodd-Frank Financial Reform Act Will Impact Municipal Securities Market, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 22, 2010
- Author, An Important Reminder about Schedule K of IRS Form 990 (Tax-Exempt Bonds), McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 15, 2010
- Author, Extension of Stimulus Act Bond Provisions in Doubt as Bill Founders in Senate, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 13, 2010
- Author, Recently Introduced Bills Affect Public Schools and Energy Tax Credit Bonds, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, December 15, 2009
- Author, Non-profit Organizations: Stimulus Act Encourages Investment in Tax-Exempt Debt of Higher Education, Healthcare, and Other Non-profit Organizations, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 16, 2009
- Presenter, "Financial Innovation: A Roadmap to the Closing Table", VHA Housing Credit Conference, September 14, 2022
- Speaker, "Advance Refundings", Council of Development Finance Agencies’ Bond Finance course, Baltimore, Maryland, August 2016
- Speaker, "Advance Refundings - Basics, Limitations, Arbitrage & More", Council of Development Finance Agencies’ Bond Finance course, June 10, 2015