Alan is a partner in McGuireWoods’ London office advising financial institutions and corporates on debt financing, corporate transactions (including mergers and acquisitions) and commercial law.
Alan’s primary focus is on drafting and negotiating credit facility agreements and security documentation on behalf of lenders and borrowers.
Alan has represented an array of high-profile clients, including an American multinational financial services corporation, a major commercial bank in Ireland, international corporations, and other lenders and investors. He has handled investment-grade, mid-market and mezzanine financings, including financings for, mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructurings, aircraft purchases and real estate acquisitions. Alan has significant cross-border experience having coordinated transactions across jurisdictions worldwide, including Dubai, the Pacific Islands, Italy, Germany, France, Finland, the U.S., Canada, England, Brazil, India, China, Venezuela and Australia.
Clients appreciate Alan’s in-house experience, offering straightforward advice across all levels of stakeholders as well as his tenacity and commitment to delivering the best results for his clients.
In addition to his financing focus, Alan offers significant experience advising financial service clients on outsourcing agreements regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority.
Prior to joining McGuireWoods, Alan acted in a Head of Legal role at the UK’s leading ethical bank.
Debt Finance Experience
- Advised Bank of America on the amendment and restatement of a $225 million term loan facility and intercreditor arrangements for an English Premier League football club.
- Advised a NYSE listed corporation in the petroleum additives industry on the re-structuring of their international corporate and finance structure (across 22 jurisdictions).
- Advised Bank of America in the amendment and extension of a $7 billion corporate facility secured by gold bullion for a major financial and commodity derivative exchange.
- Advised Bank of America in the drafting and negotiation of a highly bespoke several letter of credit facility valued at $250 million for a major financial and commodity derivative exchange.
- Advised Bank of America in the amendment and extension of a US $1 billion revolving credit facility for corporate purposes, for a major financial and commodity derivative exchange.
- Advised Bank of America on a $625 million facility, secured by assets located across Italy, Germany, France, Finland, the Netherlands and the UK.
- Advised the Lender in the amendment and extension of a US$52,000,000 loan facility for a major Pacific Islands based restaurant franchise.
- Advised Allied Irish Bank on the management, negotiation and perfection of security for the financing of a multi-million-pound investment in London real estate.
- Advised a Dubai based consortium on the financing and purchase, through a corporate vehicle, of a high-profile retail property in London’s West End, for circa £40 million.
- Advised a U.S. based lender for the perfection of security in England and Wales in relation to a $17 million term loan.
- Advised for a Dubai based consortium in relation to the inter-company re-organisation and change of control under a circa £40,000,000 facility agreement.
Financial Services Experience
- Advised a FCA and PRA regulated financial institution on several critical and material outsourcing arrangements, including with IBM (infrastructure and maintenance), Capita (mortgage operations), Sopra Banking (cloud hosted mortgage and savings platform) and SCC (desktop support and software resale).
- Advised a FCA and PRA regulated financial institution on its compliance with outsourcing, operational continuity and operational resilience regulations.
- Advised an FCA and PRA regulated financial institution on its compliance with data protection laws including international transfers of data.
- Standing member of an FCA and PRA regulated financial institution’s Incident Management Team and Operational Compliance and Financial Crime Risk Oversight Committee.