Vinu’s practice focuses on guiding clients through regulatory, administrative, and criminal investigations, civil litigation, and criminal defense. He has represented organizations and individuals across a number of industries including automotive, financial services, energy, healthcare, higher education, marketing, oil & gas exploration, and pharmaceuticals.
Vinu’s work for clients has included conducting internal investigations, representing witnesses in depositions and government interviews, managing document collections in response to grand jury subpoenas and civil discovery, briefing complex motions, and preparing for all phases of trial in federal and state court.
Vinu is also committed to pro bono service, representing survivors of gender-based violence and immigrants fleeing gang violence in their native countries.
Before his law career, Vinu consulted corporations and entertainment and nonprofit organizations to develop strategies for corporate sponsorship marketing and corporate philanthropy.
“I work constantly to earn the trust clients place in the firm and in me to solve their pressing challenges.”
- Successfully defended individual in criminal securities fraud trial.
- Advised national healthcare provider on grand jury subpoena response and internal investigation.
- Conducted internal investigation for national financial services company.
- Advised energy companies on environmental litigation and ongoing regulatory matters.
- Advised national money services business regarding federal and state regulatory issues.
- Advised national small business lender on Paycheck Protection Program rules and implementation.
- Advised university in federal civil rights investigation.
- Represented individuals targeted in investigations and prosecutions for securities, FCA, and FARA violations.
- Represented automaker in nationwide personal injury and economic loss litigation.
- Represented real estate developers in multiple breach-of-contract suits and federal RICO litigation against lender and surety provider.
- Represented oil and gas exploration company in bankruptcy confirmation proceedings, including investigation of alleged FCPA violations.
- Represented national retailer in breach-of-contract suit against competing retailer.
- Represented national food and beverage company in contract dispute with former equityholders.
- Represented energy provider in bankruptcy confirmation proceedings.
- Secured civil orders of protection for survivors of gender-based violence.
- Served as guardian ad litem for adult guardianship cases.
- Won dismissal of defamation claims against domestic violence advocacy organization.
- Negotiated sentence reduction for state prisoner asserting claim of police torture.
- Obtained deferral of deportation for immigrants under Convention Against Torture.
- Author, SEC Speaks 2022: Ongoing Efforts to Restore Public Trust, Aggressive Enforcement Agenda, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, September 28, 2022
- Author, Supreme Court Signals Interest in Clarifying Pleading Requirements in False Claims Act Suits, The FCA Insider, June 9, 2022
- Author, SEC Speaks 2021: New Enforcement Director Resolves to Restore Public Trust, Empower Staff, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 25, 2021
- Contributing Author, “Chapter 7: Quarantines and Other Governmental Restrictions", Infectious Disease Litigation: Science, Law & Procedure, February 2021
University of Michigan Law SchoolJD
- University of Massachusetts AmherstMS2002
- Northwestern UniversityBA2001
Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, Criminal Defense: White Collar, 2023, 2024