Vishwa is chair of the firm’s Regulatory and Compliance practice. Her practice involves administrative litigation before state public utility commissions. She excels at uniting large teams addressing complex subject matters to speak with one voice and reach a common goal.
Vishwa has served as lead counsel in proceedings for electric and gas clients involving securing transmission-line certificates of public convenience and necessity, grid transformation prudency review, off-shore wind prudency review, demand-side management program and cost recovery, integrated resource plans, affiliates act and securities act approvals. She has led teams in base rate proceedings for electric clients and led base rate proceedings for gas clients, including managing substantial amounts of discovery. While serving as in-house counsel, Vishwa was responsible for counseling her utility client on federal and state codes and standards of conduct, including creating and delivering training programs, and designing and implementing controls and procedures for compliance.
Vishwa has practiced before the State Corporation Commission of Virginia, North Carolina Utilities Commission, and New Jersey Board of Public Utilities.
From 1995 to 1997, Vishwa served as a law clerk for the Chief Staff Attorney’s Office, Virginia Supreme Court, Richmond, Virginia, 1993-1995, and from 1995-1997, as assistant general counsel for the Office of General Counsel, Virginia State Corporation Commission, Richmond, Virginia.
- Outside counsel for major electric utility applicant in going-in base rate and biennial review proceedings.
- Lead outside counsel for major gas local distribution company in multiple base rate proceedings.
- Lead outside counsel for major electric utility applicant in over 20 electric transmission line siting proceedings at voltages of 500 kV and 230kV, including multistate 500 kV lines.
- Lead outside counsel for major electric utility seeking prudency review of grid transformation projects.
- Lead outside counsel for major electric utility gaining prudency finding on first in the nation off-shore wind demonstration project.
- Lead outside counsel for major electric utility applicant in obtaining state commission approvals to implement multiple state-wide demand-side management programs resulting in rider cost recovery of over $700 million of electric utility program costs and utility incentives.
- Lead outside counsel for major electric utility applicant in obtaining state commission approvals for 8 annual integrated resource plans.
- Lead outside counsel for major electric utility and gas local distribution applicant in obtaining affiliates act approvals.
- Outside counsel for major electric utility applicant in obtaining securities act approval for authority to issue up to $2.5 billion of common stock to corporate parent.
- Lead outside counsel for major gas local distribution company applicant for rate recovery and approval of demand-side management programs and rider recovery.
- Outside counsel for major electric utility applicant in obtaining state commission approval to construct $1.2 billion, 1300 MW combined cycle electric generation facility which is currently operational.
- Outside counsel for major electric utility applicant in obtaining state commission approval to construct $600 million, 600 MW combined cycle electric generation facility which is currently operational.
University of Richmond School of LawJD
- University of VirginiaBA1990
Advisory Board, Medical Legal Partnership, MCV-VCU, 2018-present
Member, Virginia Energy Council, 2014-2018
Member, Board of Trustees, Children’s Museum of Richmond, 2010-2019
Chair, Governance Committee, Children’s Museum of Richmond, 2013-2019
Chair, Board of Trustees, Children’s Museum of Richmond, 2016-2018
Member; Board of Governors, 1997-2001; Chair, 2009-2010; Vice Chair, 2008-2009 (Organizer, National Regulatory Conference, 2009); Secretary, 2007-2008, Administrative Law Section, Virginia State Bar
Council Member, Administrative Law Section, Virginia Bar Association, 2009-2014
Department Chair, Regulatory & Compliance, McGuireWoods LLP
Former Member, Diversity Action Council, McGuireWoods LLP
Former Co-Chair, McGuireWoods Women’s Lawyers Network (Richmond)
Former Pension Committee member, McGuireWoods LLP
Former Recruiting Committee member, McGuireWoods LLP
Former Department Liaison to the Associates Committee, McGuireWoods LLP
Former Co-Chair, Utilities Sector Industry Team, McGuireWoods LLP
- Speaker, Leadership Conference for Women in Energy, McGuireWoods, November 4-5, 2019
- Speaker, "Life Cycle of a Transmission Project", Electric Transmission in the East, McGuireWoods, CLE International and Natural Resources Group, September 24-25, 2015
- Speaker, Southern Electric Exchange Rates and Regulation Committee, April 2014
- Moderator, "The Outlook for Renewable Energy in Virginia", 16th Annual Administrative Law Conference, Virginia Bar Association, November 4, 2010
Named to “Legal Elite,” Legislative/Regulatory/Administrative, Virginia Business, 2023
Named the “Lawyer of the Year,” Energy Regulatory Law, Richmond, 2020, 2023; Energy Law, 2024; Richmond, Best Lawyers
Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Energy Law, 2010-2024; Energy Regulatory Law, 2018-2024; Utilities Law, 2020-2024, Woodward/White, Inc.
Selected for inclusion in “Legal 500 United States,” Environment: Litigation; Environment: Regulatory, 2021, 2022, 2023
Selected for inclusion in “500 Leading U.S. Energy Lawyers,” Lawdragon, 2023
Named a “Go To Lawyer in Business Law,” Virginia Lawyers Weekly, 2022
Named to “Energy/Environmental Law Trailblazers,” The National Law Journal, 2021
Selected for inclusion in “500 Leading U.S. Environmental & Energy Lawyers,” Lawdragon, 2021
Named a Client Service “All-Star,” BTI Consulting, 2019
- Chief Staff Attorney’s Office, Supreme Court of Virginia, 1995-1997