Richard has extensive experience advising clients on mergers and acquisitions and other complex transactions. He regularly represents private equity funds, publicly and privately held companies, family offices, institutional co-investors and independent sponsors in a wide variety of transactional matters, including domestic and cross-border mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, platform and add-on acquisitions and sales, leveraged buyouts and joint ventures.
Richard handles transactions in a variety of industries, including healthcare, consumer products, energy and infrastructure, education, software and technology, and distribution and manufacturing.
Richard also counsels clients on ESG considerations in mergers & acquisitions and has given CLE presentations on the topic for DealLawyers.com and Strafford.
Prior to joining McGuireWoods, Richard practiced at a law firm in Washington, DC where, in addition to transactional work, he advised clients on international trade and other regulatory matters. Richard’s prior work experience also includes serving as Deputy Advisor to the Saudi Arabian Committee for International Trade promoting US-Saudi trade and investment.
- Represented a private equity-backed leading orthopedic management services organization in its add-on acquisitions of numerous orthopedic practices and ambulatory surgery centers in Ohio and Indiana.
- Represented a private equity-backed e-commerce direct-to-consumer provider of trees, shrubs, and live goods in its sale to a private equity firm.
- Represented a private equity firm based in Charlotte, North Carolina in its recapitalization of a category creator and branded lead of in-pool furniture and accessories.
- Represented an independent healthcare investment management firm in its acquisition of a provider of specialty infusion pharmacy focused on managed care.
- Represented a private equity-backed national leader and globally renowned intelligent process automation consulting firm in its merger with a technology consulting firm focused on the implementation of robotic process automation software for the energy industry.
- Represented a private equity-backed corporate learning technology company in its add-on acquisitions of a video-based practice and coaching platform and provider of innovative learning products and services.
- Represented public insurance company in multiple acquisitions of non-insurance businesses, including follow-on acquisitions and on-going corporate governance matters.
- Represented a Fortune 200 CPG company in a $465 million investment in a joint venture to commercialize a new consumer product in North America.
- Represented a global energy company in $265 million in asset dispositions in its transition out of the aviation fueling services business.
- Represented a Japanese holding company in disposition of a U.S.-based logistics company subsidiary.
- Represented multinational consulting company in connection with its $263 million merger with a government IT service provider.
- Represented a computer data storage provider in connection with its $8 million asset acquisition of a technology consulting and service company and its affiliated software developer.
- Represented a multinational technology company in connection with its $100 million sale of the stock of its subsidiary, a government IT service provider.
- Represented two foreign companies in their joint bid for a long-term lease and concession from a public university to maintain and operate its electric utility system.
- Represented multinational pork producer and processor in a restructuring of a Mexican joint venture.
- Represented a leading global branded apparel company in the establishment of a joint venture with a media and lifestyle company.
- Represented a health insurance company in the negotiation and documentation of a pharmacy benefits outsourcing agreement.
- Represented an international, technology-focused government contractor in the establishment of a Brazilian joint venture.
University of Virginia School of LawJD
Editorial Board, Virginia Journal of International Law2012
- Princeton UniversityABArt and Archaeology2004
Member, Virginia Bar Association
Member, DC Bar Association
Regional Chair, Princeton University Alumni Schools Committee
- Moderator, "Energy Gathering", 2022 Independent Sponsor Conference, October 26, 2022
- Speaker, "ESG Considerations in M&A", DealLawyers.com, Webinar, April 8, 2021
- Speaker, "Environmental, Social, and Governance Considerations in M&A: Mitigating ESG Risks, Maximizing ESG Benefits: Due Diligence, Reps and Warranties, Preserving ESG Attributes Post-Closing", Strafford Webinars, December 17, 2020
- District of Columbia
Selected for inclusion, “Ones to Watch,” Corporate Law, Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Securities/Capital Markets Law, Best Lawyers, 2024
- Co-author, "Fiduciary Duties of Buy-Side Directors: Recent Lessons Learned", Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance, June 30, 2018