Cassandra Shoemaker represents creditors, debtors, and equity holders in complex corporate reorganizations and bankruptcy litigation in the United States and abroad.
Cassandra has represented creditors in objecting to the adequacy of disclosure statements and confirmation of Chapter 11 plans of reorganization and parties involved in preference and fraudulent transfer avoidance actions. In addition, Cassandra has experience advising on a range of bankruptcy and other insolvency-related issues, including lender liability litigation and the implications of seeking bankruptcy relief. Her engagements have ranged across a wide array of industries, including energy, real estate, telecommunications, and healthcare.
- Trial and appellate experience in Federal District courts, in the United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals and in the Supreme Court of the United States.
- Represented the overriding royalty interest owners in the bankruptcy case of an offshore Gulf of Mexico upstream company in In re ATP Oil & Gas Corporation, Case No. 12-36186, U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas, Houston Division
- Representation of a continuing care retirement community Chapter 11 debtor, in In re Buckingham Senior Living Community, Inc., and obtained confirmation of a Chapter 11 reorganization plan with no current resident impairment.
- Counsel to commodity customers with substantial claims in MF Global Inc. SIPA proceedings (S.D N.Y), MF Global Holdings Ltd, Chapter 11 case (S.D N.Y) and MF Global UK Limited insolvency special administration (UK).
- Representation of the debtor, an upstream oil and gas exploration company and affiliates, in In re: Approach Resources Inc. et al, in its Chapter 11 bankruptcy (S.D TX) and related litigation due to, among other things, the prolonged and continuing period of commodity price decline and subsequent volatility.
- Representation of the official unsecured creditors’ committee in In re: Nuvectra Corporation, Case Number 19-43090 in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Texas, Sherman Division.
- Representation of the debtor Vitro, S.A.B. de C.V, a Mexican glass manufacturer, in its Chapter 15 proceeding which was part of a cross-border restructuring of Vitro’s greater than $2 billion in liabilities.
- Representation of Chapter 11 debtor, a senior living facility, in In re Senior Living Center at Corpus Christi, Inc. d/b/a Mirador, which obtained confirmation of a pre-negotiated Chapter 11 plan within 65 days of case filing.
- Representation of the agent for Wilmington Trust, National Association, primary secured creditors, in the Chapter 11 case of III Exploration.
- Representation of the Official Unsecured Creditors’ Committee in the Delaware Chapter 11 case of Endeavour Operating Corporation et al., an upstream producer with greater than $1 billion of liabilities.
- Representation of Thomas Moran, the Chapter 11 trustee for Life Partners, a life settlement company with greater than $1.4 billion in liabilities.
- Representation of the agent for GE Capital EFS Financing, Inc., primary secured creditors, in the Chapter 11 case of Trinity River Resources, LP.
- Representation of Chapter 11 debtor Parallel Energy LP, et al., which successfully facilitated a sale process of more than $100 million in debt within four months of case filing.
- Representation of publicly-traded Chapter 11 debtors in In re Cano Petroleum, Inc., and successfully restructured more than $82 million of indebtedness within approximately four months of case filing.
- Representation of the debtor, a senior living facility, in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas.
- In re ATP Oil & Gas Corp., 888 F.3d 122 (5th Cir. 2018).
- Foothills Tex., Inc. v. MTGLQ Investors, L.P. (In re Foothills Tex., Inc.), 476 B.R. 143 (Bankr. D. Del. 2012).
- Halo Wireless, Inc. v. Alenco Communications, et al. (In re Halo Wireless), 684 F.3d 581 (5th 2012).
- Ad Hoc Group of Vitro Noteholders v. Vitro, S.A.B. de C.V. (In re Vitro, S.A.B de C.V.), 470 B.R. 408 (N.D. Tex. 2012).
- In re HSAD 3949 Lindell, Ltd., No. 10-33986, 2010 Bankr. LEXIS 4860 (Bankr. N.D. Tex. Sept. 1, 2010).
South Texas College of LawJD
summa cum laude, Dean’s Scholar, Dean’s Merit Award, Member, South Texas Law Review2009
Texas A&M UniversityBBA
cum laude, Mays Business School Dean’s List2006
Member, International Women’s Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation
Member, Dallas Bar Association, Bankruptcy Section
Member, State Bar of Texas, Bankruptcy Section
Member, Turnaround Management Association
Member, National Association of Women Lawyers
Member, Dallas Association of Young Lawyers
Member, Private Directors Association
Certified Mediator, 2007-2009
- Panelist, "Corporate Governance in Financially Distressed Companies", American Bankruptcy Institute, April 29, 2022
- Panelist, "What Directors Need to Know about Working with Distressed Companies", Private Directors Association, April 21, 2021
- Participant, National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges, 2019
- Participant, "Environmentally Contaminated Properties in Bankruptcy", National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges, October 26-29, 2016
- Speaker, "What You Need to Know About Bankruptcy in Oil & Gas", Dallas DFW-ALTA Luncheon, August 23, 2016
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, Litigation – Bankruptcy, 2023, 2024
- Author, "Tips in Navigating the Retail Tenant Apocalypse", Headnotes, Dallas Bar Association, July 2018
- Co-author, What Happens to My Lawsuit? When Bankruptcy and Litigation Collide, 69th Annual Oil & Gas Law Conference, Institute for Energy Law (IEL), February 2018
- Author, "Help! I Think My Counter-Party May Be Insolvent", Energy & Mineral Law Foundation, September 12, 2016
- Author, "Oil and Gas Bankruptcy Issues", August 2016
- Mentioned, "Endeavour Gets Nod To End Ch. 11 In Structured Dismissal", Law360, October 16, 2015
- Mentioned, "Endeavour Creditors Challenge ‘Structured Dismissal’ Bid", Law360, September 14, 2015
- Mentioned, "Endeavour Creditors Have Bid For Standing Put On Hold", Law360, May 1, 2015
- Mentioned, "Endeavour Pivots To Ch. 11 Sale Over Oil Price Drop", Law360, April 30, 2015
- Mentioned, "Endeavour Lenders Slam Creditors’ Bid To Wipe $440M Loans", Law360, April 27, 2015
- Mentioned, "Endeavour Creditors Move To Wipe Out $440M Lenders", Law360, April 10, 2015
- Mentioned, "Endeavour Lenders Want $440M Lien Probe Halted", Law360, March 5, 2015
- Mentioned, "Endeavour Says Oil Price Drop Throws Prepack Into Doubt", Law360, February 9, 2015
- Mentioned, "Endeavour Can Poll Lenders On Plan To Trim $500M In Debt", Law360, December 22, 2014
- Mentioned, "Endeavour Creditors Win Brief Disclosure Hearing Delay", Law360, December 16, 2014
- Mentioned, "Vitro Takes Nondebtor Release Ban To Supreme Court", Law360, March 29, 2013
- Mentioned, "5th Circ. Upholds Ban On Nondebtor Releases In Vitro Case", Law360, November 28, 2012
- Author, "Today’s Oil and Gas Market: Managing and Mitigating Bankruptcy Risks", November 2012
- Mentioned, "Vitro Squares Off With Bankruptcy Plan Objectors In 5th Circ.", Law360, October 3, 2012
- Mentioned, "Bankrupt Vitro Makes Case For Nondebtor Releases", Law360, August 13, 2012
- Author, "Introduction to Chapter 15 of the Bankruptcy Code", July 2012
- Mentioned, "5th Circ. Extends Block On Vitro Debt Collection Efforts", Law360, June 28, 2012
- Mentioned, "Judge Won’t Enforce Vitro Mexican Plan’s Nondebtor Releases", Law360, June 13, 2012
- Mentioned, "Cano Petroleum Seeks Ch. 11 Sale Amid Cash Woes", Law360, March 8, 2012
- Author, "Oil and Gas Bankruptcy Issues", May 16, 2011