Eric is a member of the firm’s nationally ranked Government Investigations and White Collar Litigation department, located in our New York office. A veteran trial lawyer and investigator, Eric represents cross-border, international companies and individuals targeted in U.S. Government prosecutions involving a range of allegations including Foreign Corrupt Practice Act (FCPA) violations, money laundering, Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) violations, wire, securities, and commodities/futures fraud, healthcare fraud, construction fraud, economic espionage/trade secrets theft, antitrust violations, commercial bribery, labor racketeering, and violations of the Racketeer Influence and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act.
Prior to joining McGuireWoods, Eric served as a federal prosecutor for sixteen years, including eight years as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Southern District of New York. He focused on the prosecution of cases involving bank and wire fraud, money laundering, obstruction of justice, RICO violations, and International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA) violations. Eric also handled a high-profile asset forfeiture matter related to the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) sanctions. During a four-month criminal trial, he litigated issues before the U.S. District Court under the Classified Information Procedures Act (CIPA).
Earlier in his career, Eric served as a trial lawyer in the Justice Department and as an Assistant District Attorney in Manhattan. In 2010, he left the U.S. Attorney’s Office for private practice, and in 2015, he re-entered public service as Senior Counsel to the U.S. Secretary of State where he led the U.S. State Department’s response to the Congressional investigation into the attack on embassy facilities in Benghazi, Libya. During his extensive law career, Eric was lead counsel in more than 30 successful jury trials and argued six appeals in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Court.
While pursuing his undergraduate degree in Economics at New York University, Eric served as the President of Student Government and Captain of the Men’s Varsity Swim Team.
- Represented the plaintiff in an eight-defendant civil RICO/RICO conspiracy action pending in U.S. District Court for the District of New Hampshire that alleges predicate acts, including Hobbs Act extortion, money laundering, wire fraud, and various state level criminal offenses.
- Represented a Chinese national charged in the Southern District of New York with various offenses related to an alleged economic espionage scheme and theft of trade secrets from a U.S. university involved in cutting-edge technology research.
- Advised a multinational U.S.-based IT/software provider in its internal investigation into allegations of FCPA violations.
- Represented numerous executives of an international construction and engineering firm (with operations worldwide) in a multijurisdictional FCPA investigation conducted by the U.S. Department of Justice and the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of New York.
- Prosecuted a thirty-two defendant criminal RICO conspiracy that alleged predicate acts, including money laundering, obstruction of justice, and other criminal offenses.
- Defended a death penalty eligible defendant who was charged in a forty-two count, thirty-one defendant RICO/RICO conspiracy prosecution in which predicate acts included murder, narcotics distribution, and other acts of violence.
- Represented a large U.S. based energy company which had significant operations in Latin America and was accused of a bribery payment to a very senior Petrobras official implicated in the Lava Jato investigation in Brazil.
- Represented a commodities trader who was investigated by the Chicago Mercantile Exchange for “spoofing” activity in his trading of several commodities from his trading desk in Rio de Janeiro.
- Investigated and prosecuted a case involving a gold selling operation in Panama. The gold operation was responsible for laundering hundreds of millions of dollars generated from criminal transactions in the United States. The investigation required analysis of voluminous bank records from the United States and Panama, air bills, shipping documents, and sales invoices; and it required many trips to Panama to coordinate the investigation with the Panamanian authorities. It resulted in the convictions of the owners of the operation and the forfeiture of several tons of gold, silver, and jewelry valued at more than $40 million dollars.
- Represented the board of directors of an international natural resources company based in Asia in conducting an internal investigation into alleged FCPA violations and violations of the World Bank sanctions regime.
- Represented foreign individuals and entities, including an internal investigation of a publicly listed, international corporation that operates on four continent, and a Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan-based fuel supplier to the United States military forces in Afghanistan in a congressional investigation into alleged bribery.
- Representation of a foreign client in Dubai in a large multidistrict litigation, defending against claims brought under the ATA.
- Representation of a very senior executive in an international construction company who was alleged to have paid massive bribes to obtain large government contracts in Ecuador.
- Previous resident in Latin America for several years during the height of the U.S. DOJ’s investigations into bribery schemes in Latin America.
- As a government prosecutor, was largely based in Colombia while investigation what became one of the largest U.S. prosecutions of its kind (according the then-U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzalez).
- Represented a two-time Attorney General of the United States before Congress in its investigation of the January 6 attack on the Capitol.
- Represented a sitting U.S. Secretary of State in an investigation conducted by the Inspector General to the U.S. State Department.
- Defended an individual charged in SDNY with conspiracy to commit wire fraud and identity theft.
- Represented an art dealer who was indicted in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia for money laundering offenses arising from art transactions for which he was alleged to have received criminal proceeds.
- Represented an executive at an international commercial bank in an investigation being conducted by the U.S. Department of Justice, the U.S. Senate (Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations), and the United States Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of New York into money laundering allegations and IEEPA violations for transactions involving Iran.
- Represented an entity in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia in applying for an OFAC license for a transfer of funds to an Iranian entity.
- Represented an individual who works for a publicly traded U.S. manufacturing company in connection with an antitrust investigation being conducted by the Antitrust Division of the U.S. Department of Justice.
- Represented a leading European law firm in connection with an investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice (Tax Division) into participation in alleged tax evasion schemes involving offshore trusts and bank accounts in “tax havens.”
- Represented a Japan-based executive of an international financial institution in investigations being conducted by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, and the U.S. Department of Justice into allegations of anticompetitive behavior related to derivatives products.
- Represented a senior IRS official in an investigation conducted by various committees in the U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate into allegations of inappropriate targeting of certain political groups.
- Represented an audit committee in the internal accounting investigation of a New York Stock Exchange (NYSE)-listed company and a related U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission investigation.
- Served as a government-appointed integrity monitor in the Hurricane Sandy reconstruction efforts in New York City.
- Represented Swiss bankers, Swiss asset management companies, and Swiss trust professionals who were targeted by the Department of Justice (Tax Division) and the U.S. Senate (Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations), including a Geneva, Switzerland-based head of private banking for a large, international bank; the Swiss president and CEO of a publicly traded company who was indicted in the Eastern District of New York for his involvement in a stock broker bribery scheme; numerous Swiss bankers (in Zurich and Geneva) who serviced American client accounts; and the president and CEO of a Zurich-based private bank.
- Represented the CEO of a New York investment firm responding to an investigation conducted by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission into allegations of insider trading; an engineering consultancy in connection with a FINRA review of possible insider trading relating to acquisitions on which the consultancy advised; and an analyst at a large U.S.-based financial institution in connection with an investigation by the U.S. DOJ and the U.S. States Securities and Exchange Commission into allegations of insider trading.
- Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption (FCPA)
- Antitrust & Trade Regulation
- Bank Secrecy Act and Anti-Money Laundering Counseling and Defense
- Commercial Litigation
- Cross-Border Transactions
- Financial Services Litigation
- Government Investigations & White Collar Litigation
- International Dispute Resolution & Arbitration
- International Investigations & Enforcement
- Securities Enforcement & Regulatory Counseling
- Strategic Risk & Crisis Management
- District of Columbia
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
Recognized as a leading lawyer for Corporate Crimes & Investigations: Latin America – International Counsel, Chambers Global, 2019, 2022-2024
Recognized as one of “Latin America’s Top 100 Lawyers,” Latinvex, 2023
Recognized as one of the “Top 10 Influential Latin America Corporate Crime Lawyers of 2023,” Business Today
Recipient, United States Department of Justice Director’s Award for Superior Performance as a U.S. Federal Prosecutor in a Criminal RICO Prosecution, 2008
- New York University School of LawJD1994
- New York UniversityBSEconomics1990
Senior Counsel, U.S. Department of State, 2015-2016
AUSA, U.S. Attorney’s Office, Southern District of New York, 2002-2010
Trial Attorney, Criminal Division, U.S. Department of Justice, 1999-2002
ADA, New York County District Attorney’s Office, 1994-1999
- Speaker, Compliance in Union Relations and Collective Bargaining, Sao Paulo, Brasil, July 28, 2022