Joel is the former chair of the firm’s labor and employment practice. He is an experienced litigator in the employment discrimination area, having handled hundreds of discrimination cases, including multiparty and class action cases involving Title VII, ADA, ADEA, ERISA, FMLA, FLSA, the Illinois Human Rights Act, (and various other federal, state and local discrimination and labor statutes and ordinances).
Joel also regularly counsels employers on how to avoid discrimination charges and lawsuits. Among other things, he assists corporations and businesses on a variety of labor and employment matters, including employee rights issues, disciplinary decisions, employee handbooks, employment contracts, drug testing, family medical leave, sexual harassment investigations and covenants not to compete. He has also represented employers in onsite investigations conducted by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the U.S. Department of Labor, and the Office of Federal Contracts Compliance Program.
In addition to his employment discrimination law practice, Joel represents plaintiffs and defendants in cases involving noncompete agreements, confidentiality agreements, and the alleged theft of trade secrets. On the plaintiff side, he has obtained injunctions that prohibited people from competing against firm clients. On the defense side, he has effectively represented employers who have hired employees with noncompete or confidentiality agreements. In addition to his litigation experience, he regularly counsels employers on how to draft noncompete and secrecy agreements, and on whether it is appropriate to hire employees who have such agreements.
Joel also has extensive experience litigating collective (“class”) actions pursuant to the FLSA throughout the United States.
- Illinois Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Wisconsin Supreme Court
Named to “2023 Notable Leaders in Employment & Labor Law,” Crain’s Chicago Business, 2023
Selected for inclusion, Labor & Employment – Illinois, Band 4, Chambers USA, 2021, 2022, 2023
Named to “Illinois Super Lawyers,” Employment and Labor, Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2009-2018, 2020
- Author, Biometric Barriers in Illinois: Developments With the Biometric Information Privacy Act, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 19, 2017
- Author, EEOC Bears Down on Inflexible Leave of Absence Policies, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 15, 2009
Executive Editor, Marquette Law Review1990
- University of Wisconsin–MadisonBA1987
Member, Illinois Bar Association
Member, Wisconsin Bar Association
Member, American Bar Association