Richard focuses his practice on the representation of commercial banks, investment banks, financial sponsors and other financial institutions in their capacities as agents and lenders, as well as corporate borrowers, in a variety of financing transactions, including secured and unsecured lending, acquisition financing, corporate restructurings, debtor-in-possession financings, workouts and other leveraged financings.
Prior to joining McGuireWoods, Richard was an assistant general counsel at a northeastern regional bank. He also previously practiced for a New York-based international law firm. After law school, Richard served as a law clerk for approximately two years for the Honorable Arthur J. Gonzalez (Ret.) in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York.
- Represented major U.S. financial institution, as lender and administrative agent in connection with a $1 billion multi-currency revolving credit agreement for an international sneaker manufacturer.
- Represented major financial institution, as lender and administrative agent in multiple credit agreements with borrowers in the oil and gas industry.
- Represented major U.S. financial institution, as lender and administrative agent in connection with a senior secured credit agreement with a national restaurant franchisor.
- Represented financial sponsor in connection with multiple acquisitions of regional dental practices.
- Represented financial sponsor and borrower, a gypsum wallboard distributor, under a secured first-lien term loan facility and second-lien term loan facility in the aggregate amount of $550 million and a $200 million ABL credit agreement.
- Represented financial sponsor and borrower, a national fitness franchise, under a $1 billion senior secured bank facility, consisting of a revolving credit facility and term loans.
- Represented debtor-in-possession lender in bankruptcy case of In re Los Angeles Dodgers LLC.
- Represented official committee of unsecured creditors in bankruptcy case of In re Station Casinos, Inc.
Fordham University School of LawJD
cum laude; Notes and Articles Editor, Fordham International Law Journal; Moot Court Board2004
- Michigan State UniversityBASocial Science1992
Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
Member, Fordham Law Alumni Association
- Hon. Arthur J. Gonzalez, U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York, 2006-2008
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- Author, Loan Syndications and Trading Association Published Concept SOFR Credit Agreement, LIBOR Transition Blog, September 23, 2020
- Author, "State Street Widens Non-Statutory Insider Definition", American Bankruptcy Institute Journal, March 2015