Sarah focuses her practice on representing employers in a variety of labor and employment law matters. Sarah regularly advises employers regarding compliance with various state and federal labor and employment laws, with a particular focus on employee safety and health and employee benefits.
Sarah represents employers before state and federal agencies, as well as in private litigation, in disputes involving state and federal employee safety and health requirements (such as those arising out of the federal Occupational Safety and Health Act and under various state OSHA plans), wage and hour laws (such as the federal Fair Labor Standards Act and the Virginia Overtime Wage Act), and other labor and employment laws. Sarah regularly represents employers in disputes arising from participation in or withdrawal from multiemployer defined benefit pension plans.
Before entering private practice, Sarah worked on labor and employment policy issues at the U.S. Department of Labor, where she drafted opinion letters interpreting issues arising under the Fair Labor Standards Act, and worked to draft and update rules and regulations under the FLSA, Family and Medical Leave Act, the Families First Coronavirus Response Act, and other federal statutes. Before that, Sarah worked for the U.S. House of Representatives, Committee on Education and Labor, working to develop legislative responses to address funding issues facing multiemployer defined benefit pension plans.
Prior to joining McGuireWoods, Sarah worked at a national law firm where she regularly advised employers regarding compliance with state and federal wage and hour, workplace safety and health, and employee benefits laws, and represented employers in wage and hour, non-discrimination, and employee benefits plan litigation.
Notre Dame Law SchoolJD
Member, Journal of College and University Law2017
- University of California, IrvineBA2013
- Author, OSHA Announces Targeted Heat and Ergonomic Enforcement in Warehousing and Distribution Industries, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 20, 2023
- Author, Virginia General Assembly 2023 Employment Law Roundup, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 27, 2023
- Author, Supreme Court Upholds Ruling That FLSA Overtime Exemption Didn’t Apply to Day-Rate Rig Worker, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 27, 2023
- Author, U.S. Department of Labor Releases Guidance on Telework and FMLA, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 16, 2023
- Author, Federal Appeals Court Finds USERRA Requires Paid Military Leave, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 8, 2023
- Author, 9th Circuit Rejects Classwide Reprocessing Remedy in ERISA Denial-of-Benefits Claim, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 6, 2023
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia