J. Stephen Tagert focuses his practice on government investigations and white collar litigation. Stephen draws on his experience as a clerk for federal judges in both trial and appellate courts to represent his clients in high-stakes litigation and investigation matters.
Stephen has worked as counsel for individuals and organizations in a variety of complex enforcement and litigation matters before the U.S. Department of Justice, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, state attorneys general, and other state and federal agencies. Stephen has also counseled clients in internal investigations in a variety of practice areas. Stephen maintains a dedicated pro bono practice and has briefed appeals in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, the Court of Appeals of Virginia, and the Supreme Court of Virginia. He argued one of those appeals, which resulted in the court reversing the district court in favor of his client.
Prior to joining McGuireWoods, Stephen worked at a nationally recognized firm, working in complex litigation, white collar, and appellate litigation matters.
Stephen served as a law clerk to the Honorable E. Grady Jolly of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, the Honorable Robert E. Payne of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, and the Honorable Allison Jones Rushing of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
- New York
- District of Columbia
- North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit
- Hon. Allison Jones Rushing, U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit, 2019-2020
- Hon. E. Grady Jolly, U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit, 2017-2018
- Hon. Robert E. Payne, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, 2018-2019
Duke University School of LawJD
Executive Editor, Duke Law Journal2017
Phi Beta Kappa2013
- Author, Education Department Delays Sept. 1 Effective Date of Dear Colleague Letter on Third-Party Servicers, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 12, 2023
- Author, Department of Education Guidance Expands Possible Liability for Private Companies That Contract With Higher Education Institutions, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 21, 2023