On January 29, 2009,
McGuireWoods lawyers Robert Gordon Chambers,
Michele A. W. McKinnon, J. Michael Wilson and Brian
C. Bernhardt headed a panel discussion of the issues raised by the IRS
Compliance Questionnaire for Colleges and Universities, including:
- Understanding the scope and detail of the questionnaire, each of its
parts, and each of the questions.
- Understanding the importance of consistency, both internal to
questionnaire answers and external to other documents.
- Using an Addendum to provide further explanation where appropriate.
- Knowing that answers on the questionnaire will serve as the basis for
future examinations throughout the industry, not only with respect to the
- Taking advantage of the questionnaire to institute, or review the
application of, best practices.
For your reference please see our Jan. 21, 2009 Compensation for Tax-Exempt Organizations
on this topic. You can also access online copies of the
sample Compliance Questionnaire for Colleges and Universities and the