From healthcare to high tech, clean energy to state government, hospitality to higher education, all roads through Texas’ 21st-century economy lead to Austin. Austin’s diverse culture, vibrant business environment and entrepreneurial spirit are a beacon for investment and opportunity. McGuireWoods’ Austin office reflects this diversity in its practices and client services, which embody our fast-growing city. The office also serves as a pivotal base for McGuireWoods Consulting, the law firm’s full-service public affairs subsidiary.
Our Austin attorneys are key industry leaders with extensive experience in complex business transactions, renewable and traditional energy transactions, mergers and acquisitions, private equity, healthcare, real estate and land use, business and commercial litigation, intellectual property, labor and employment, and regulatory law.
Our strengths include:
- Energy and Renewables: We advise developers, financiers, independent power producers, utilities, independents and majors in development, financing, construction and operation of capital-intensive energy projects and facilities. The energy team integrates its business, transactional and regulatory experience to represent clients and lead transactions — from deal negotiations through the arduous regulatory process to financing and closings.
- Labor and Employment: We counsel employers in every aspect of the employer-employee relationship, including federal, state and international law compliance; the drafting and enforcement of noncompete agreements and related trade secret protections; internal investigations; executive compensation; executive and workforce training (including harassment prevention training); traditional labor issues; federal contracting; wage and hour-related issues; and nonsubscription to workers’ compensation. Our Austin attorneys are experienced litigators in state and federal courts across the country and in administrative proceedings before the EEOC and local human rights agencies. We also handle DOL compliance checks and audits.
- Healthcare: Clients come to McGuireWoods from all sectors of the healthcare industry. Our lawyers advise academic medical centers, ambulatory surgery centers, assisted-living and long-term care facilities, dialysis centers, hospitals and hospital systems, hospices, imaging facilities, clinical laboratories, nursing homes, management service organizations, physician-hospital organizations, pharmacies and specialty medical clinics, as well as medical staff organizations and medical, healthcare and related trade associations. We also represent venture capital firms, commercial banks, specialty lenders, investment bankers and individual investors in healthcare-related transactions.
- M&A and Private Equity: Our transactional lawyers bring a unique depth of experience in mergers and acquisitions, private equity and real estate. We handle corporate transactional matters, including advising private equity funds, venture capital funds, and other institutional investors and strategic acquirers on mergers and acquisitions, growth equity investments, secondary transactions and corporate governance. We also handle entity formation, debt and equity financings, corporate governance and commercial agreements among a range of other matters.
- Litigation: Clients count on us to litigate and defend their interests and we are known nationally, throughout Texas and in Austin for our litigation strength representing business clients in virtually every sector of the economy. Our skilled Austin lawyers, often in partnership with our Dallas and Houston offices, handle business and commercial litigation, class actions, labor and employment, and intellectual property matters, among other areas.
Underscoring Austin’s status as the center of state government, McGuireWoods Consulting partners with the law firm’s attorneys to serve clients when legislative and political solutions provide an alternative pathway to resolve issues impacting their businesses. McGuireWoods Consulting’s Texas government relations practice features a bipartisan team of professionals with extensive government experience and the requisite political savvy to resolve challenging issues impacting businesses at the local, state and national levels. Comprised of Capitol and campaign veterans who previously worked for Texas House and Senate members, the governor and lieutenant governor, and on state and national campaigns, the Texas team has over 100 years of combined experience.
Beyond our service to clients, McGuireWoods’ Austin professionals are committed to the community in which we live and work — a core value of our firm. Our Austin attorneys, consultants and staff serve in leadership roles and volunteer in local organizations impacting our community including the Austin Public Library, the Texas Baptist Children’s Home, Children at Heart Ministries, American YouthWorks, the Austin Film Festival, the Junior League of Austin, Capital Area United Way, Helping Hand Home for Children, and the Texas Advocacy Project.