Tray directs McGuireWoods Consulting’s Virginia government relations team. Prior to joining the consulting group, he was a partner in the Richmond office of an international law firm and served as vice president of the Virginia office of their public affairs group. He concentrates his practice on governmental law, and legislative and regulatory matters with a focus on the telecommunications, healthcare, alcoholic beverage and insurance industries.
In addition to representing clients before the General Assembly and other state agencies, he is also well-versed on the Public-Private Education Facilities and Infrastructure Act (PPEA). He has facilitated numerous PPEA construction projects in the Commonwealth involving warehouse, correctional and educational space.
After graduation from the Virginia Military Institute, Tray obtained his law degree from the University of Richmond School of Law. While there Tray was a member of Phi Delta Phi, the McNeill Law Society and the Moot Court Board.
McGuireWoods Consulting LLC (“MWC”) is a wholly owned subsidiary of the McGuireWoods LLP law firm. From time to time, various McGuireWoods lawyers provide non-legal services to MWC clients, but MWC cannot provide legal services or advice. Therefore, any work MWC performs for a client does not give rise to an attorney-client relationship or privilege. Should you require legal services from McGuireWoods, as well as consulting services from MWC, you must engage the law firm separately.
- Represented a national insurance trade association in implementation of Graham Leach Bliley requirements.
- Represented a medical malpractice carrier on Gubernatorial panel on issues impacting obstetrical care in Virginia’s hospitals.
- Represented a medical malpractice carrier in legislative efforts to raise Virginia’s malpractice cap and incorporate tort reform measures.
- Represented a consortium of higher education institutions and businesses in a multi-year campaign to restructure higher education funding.
- Represented telecommunication companies in the enactment Virginia’s telephone deregulation legislation and subsequent legislation on rights-of-way access, municipal competition, and tax restructuring.
- Represented a national wine wholesaler in efforts to privatize Virginia’s ABC distributions system as a part of government reform initiatives.
- Represented a national wine wholesaler in addressing legislative response to federal court decision on interstate wine shipments.
- Represented a managed care company in overturning restrictive managed care regulations and redrafting industry-friendly laws and regulations.
- Represented a four-year institution of higher education in securing $50 million for renovation of historic structures on campus.
- Represented national and state trucking associations impacted by toll road proposals filed with the Virginia Department of Transportation.
- Represented a statewide Home Builders association in securing favorable amendments to the new home warranty statute and mechanics’ lien laws.
- University of Richmond School of LawJD1986
Virginia Military InstituteBAEnglish
Member, American Bar Association
Member, Central Virginia Chapter of the Community Associations Institute
Member, Richmond Bar Association
Member, Virginia Bar Association
Member, Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
Member, VMI Club of Richmond
Member, West Avenue Improvement Association
Named to “Legal Elite,” Legislative/Regulatory/Administrative, 2022, 2023, Virginia Business