Matt advises domestic and foreign clients on issues pertaining to corporate governance and federal and state securities laws, including in connection with public and private securities offerings and compliance under the Securities Act of 1933 and the Securities Exchange Act of 1934.
Matt has extensive experience preparing and filing registration statements and assisting clients with Securities and Exchange Commission reporting obligations, including Forms S-1, S-3, S-11, F-1 and F-3, proxy statements, proxy contests, tender offers as well as periodic filings, including Forms 20-F, 10-K, 10-Q, 6-K and 8-K. He regularly advises issuers and underwriters in connection with initial public offerings, follow-on public offerings and private securities offerings. He has completed IPOs on the NASDAQ Capital Market for several companies headquartered in the PRC.
In addition to his corporate governance and securities law practice, Matt has experience representing clients in commercial litigation matters in state and federal courts throughout Virginia, as well as in arbitration proceedings.
Matt’s work with public and private companies, across industries, has allowed him to develop best practices and a unique understanding of business-specific goals and objectives to serve clients efficiently and effectively.
- Representation of Fortress Biotech, Inc. (Nasdaq: FBIO), innovative biopharmaceutical company focused on efficiently acquiring, developing and commercializing or monetizing promising therapeutic products and product candidates, in a registered direct offering and concurrent private placement of contingent rights to acquire subsidiary securities.
- Advises issuers with respect to ongoing compliance with SEC disclosure obligations, NASDAQ listing requirements, and corporate governance matters.
- Represents public and private companies in connection with mergers & acquisitions, PIPEs, and other strategic transactions.
- Represents issuers and investment banks in connection with public and private offerings of common and preferred equity, including initial public offerings, follow-on offerings, “at-the-market” offerings, tender offers and Rule 144A and Regulation D private placements.
- Representation of beneficial owners in the preparation and filing of Section 13 and Section 16 beneficial ownership reports.
- Completion of an initial public offering for a Chinese water filtration company on the NASDAQ Capital Market.
- Completion of an initial public offering for a Chinese eco-friendly construction materials company on the NASDAQ Capital Market.
- Completion of an initial public offering for a Chinese call center company on the Nasdaq Capital Market.
- Representation of an underwriter in an initial public offering of a Chinese company that provides Internet-based technology to investment companies.
- Representation of a NASDAQ-listed pet food company in connection with registered direct offerings totaling $19 million of securities.
- Representation of a NASDAQ-listed REIT in connection with the establishment of a $50 million “at-the-market” preferred stock offering program.
- Representation of a publicly traded REIT in multiple preferred stock offerings totaling approximately $90 million.
- Representation of management of a NASDAQ-listed company in a going private transaction.
- Successful defense of a proxy contest initiated by an activist investor against a publicly traded REIT.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- Author, SEC Releases Proposed New Rules on Climate-Related Disclosures, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 5, 2022