George focuses his practice on intellectual property litigation, specifically patent litigation. With nearly a decade of experience in patent law matters (both litigation and prosecution), George has assisted clients with dozens of disputes in Federal district courts (including patent hotspots such as the Eastern District of Texas), post-grant proceedings at the United States Patent and Trademark Office, appeals to the Federal Circuit, and disputes before the International Trade Commission.
George’s practice covers a wide range of technical areas, including LTE and 5G wireless telecommunications, graphics processors, mobile banking and e-commerce, industrial metal forming equipment, electronic fuel injectors, residential security systems, food storage and delivery, motion capture technology in video games, and medical devices.
In addition to his patent litigation practice, George has been actively involved in the firm’s pro bono partnership with Central Virginia Legal Aid Society since 2017, representing victims of domestic violence seeking civil protective orders in Virginia state courts.
George has been admitted to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office since 2011, and has a bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- Successfully argued against motion for summary judgment of infringement on behalf of can-making machinery manufacturer. Member of trial team that subsequently obtained a complete non-infringement jury verdict based on same arguments used to defeat summary judgment.
- Drafted brief that convinced Federal Circuit to vacate and remand PTAB’s decision finding patent valid based on improper claim construction.
- Defended patent directed to oil rig technology in oral arguments before the PTAB, resulting in Final Written Decision upholding the patentability of all claims.
Washington and Lee University School of LawJD
magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, Lead Articles Editor, Washington and Lee Law Review2010
- California Polytechnic State UniversityBSMechanical Engineering2006
Board Member, East End Pregnancy Test & Help Center, 2014-present
Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
Member, Richmond Chapter, Federal Bar Association
Vice President of Administration, W&L Federalist Society, 2009-2010
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Author, Federal Circuit: Admitted Prior Art Cannot Form Basis of Inter Partes Review Challenge, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 11, 2022
- Author, Supreme Court: Patent Trial and Appeal Board’s Time-Bar Determination Is Unreviewable, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 20, 2020
- Co-author, "What the Supreme Court said About Patents this Term", Law360, 2014
- Note, Personnel is Policy: Schools, Student Groups, and the Right to Discriminate, 66 WASH. & LEE L. REV 1793, 2009