Tom is the former managing partner of the Houston office. He has handled complex commercial cases and class actions for more than 30 years.
He has substantial experience representing plaintiffs and defendants in construction disputes; securities cases; oil and gas, and real estate disputes; insurance coverage cases; ERISA cases; and a variety of breach-of-contract, fraud, and tortious-interference matters. His clients have included individuals, major corporations, closely held businesses, governmental agencies, and foreign sovereigns. He also devotes a substantial portion of his practice to appellate matters. He has argued cases in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th and 9th Circuits, the Texas Supreme Court, and several courts of appeals throughout Texas.
Following law school, Tom served as a law clerk for the Honorable Carolyn Dineen King of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit. While attending the University of Houston Law Center, he received the University of Houston Law Foundation Academic Excellence Award.
- Representation of hundreds of investors who purchased unregistered securities in a settlement against two major brokerage firms.
- Representation of a coal exporter in a UCC breach-of-contract case, obtaining an arbitration award.
- Defense of a law firm in a mass action by thousands of former clients alleging breach of fiduciary duty.
- Representation of multiple investors alleging usurpation of business opportunities.
- Defense of a national publishing company in a putative class action alleging deceptive trade practices, obtaining a dismissal in the pleadings.
- Defense of a general contractor in a construction case alleging years of delay and delay damages, obtaining a no-liability summary judgment.
- Representation of a general contractor in a payment dispute, obtaining a jury verdict against the owner for fraud and breach of contract.
- Defense of a general contractor in a claim for alleged delays and non-performance, obtaining a jury verdict rejecting all claims to lost rentals and other consequential damages.
University of Houston Law CenterJD
Order of the Coif, Publications Editor, Houston Law Review1984
- The University of VermontBA1980
Selected for inclusion in America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Litigation: General Commercial, Texas, Chambers USA, 2017-2018, 2022, 2023
Named to “Texas Super Lawyers,” Business Litigation, Appellate, Securities Litigation, Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2005-2015, 2018, 2019
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Hon. Carolyn D. King, U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit, 1985-1986