Phil’s practice focuses on financial services litigation. Phil supports the in-house legal departments of several large financial institutions, defending and managing a portfolio of retail, commercial and auto-related litigation alleging violations of the Fair Credit Reporting Act, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Truth in Lending Act, state consumer protection statutes, and common law claims. He performs all functions of in-house counsel, including defending and overseeing litigations, developing strategy and settlement recommendations, supervising outside counsel, and coordinating with client decision-makers from various lines of business. Phil prioritizes resolving cases timely to reduce associated expenses and risks of ongoing litigation.
Phil also represents and counsels management in the employer-employee relationship, including the defense of wage and hour litigations, employment discrimination actions, and common law employment litigation. Phil’s employment practice is focused on the private sector where he has clients in a variety of industries including financial services, restaurants, health care and manufacturing.
Phil graduated from the State University of New York at Binghamton, where he received a dual B.A. in Political Science and Philosophy, Politics & Law. While studying at Binghamton, Phil also minored in Economics. He obtained his law degree from Hofstra University, where he was the editor in chief of the Hofstra Labor and Employment Law Journal. Phil is currently a contributing editor to the Developing Labor Law treatise, a member of the New York State Bar Association, and serve as co-pro bono coordinator for McGuireWoods’ New York office.
Phil is admitted to practice in New York, New Jersey, the United States District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern Districts of New York, the United States District Court for New Jersey as well as the Second Circuit Court of Appeals and Third Circuit Court of Appeals.
Labor & Employment Litigation & Related Matters Experience
- Defense of employee claims asserting wrongful termination, breach of contract, and unlawful harassment, discrimination and retaliation.
- Drafting and advice on employment-related policies, employee handbooks, and employment contracts.
- Advice and counsel regarding employee discipline issues and reductions in force.
Wage & Hour Class Action / Collective Action Experience
- Class actions asserting misclassification and off-the-clock overtime and minimum wage violations and related claims.
- Hybrid nationwide FLSA collective actions and state law class actions asserting misclassification and off-the-clock overtime and minimum wage violations and related claims.
Maurice A. Deane School of Law at Hofstra UniversityJD
Editor in Chief, Hofstra Labor and Employment Law Journal2001
- Binghamton University, State University of New YorkBAPolitical Science, BA Philosophy, Politics and Law1998
Member, New York State Bar Association
Member, American Bar Association
- Author, New York Department of Labor Publishes FAQs on Legalization of Recreational Marijuana, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, November 3, 2021
- Author, New Jersey to Increase Employee Protections Against Age Discrimination, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 22, 2021
- New York
- New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of New Jersey
Named to “Dean’s List: VOLS Pro Bono Stars,” Volunteers of Legal Service, 2021